• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Widest Ski you will take into East Coast Trees?

Black Phantom

They are mounted to the std binding position marked on the skis. I was not quite clear. I do not ride the park. Why do you ask, little fella?:-D

Big difference. Wondering if you big mountain skiers with dimunitive frames roll on a center mount.

I typically roll on +2 .

You going to show me around my old hood little man?:snow::flag::cool:

Puck it

Big difference. Wondering if you big mountain skiers with dimunitive frames roll on a center mount.

I typically roll on +2 .

You going to show me around my old hood little man?:snow::flag::cool:

Not quite dimunitive, I am. What hood would that be, lil fella?

Puck it

Your beloved home hill, not the 'Rica lil fella:snow:

If you mean Cannon. Sure will. What about skiing K-ton in Oct(hopefully) or Nov?

itsotaylilfe128636478467453898.jpg

Huck_It_Baby

Chiming in on the mounting point conversation: my S7s are mounted on the +3 line which corresponds (I believe) to ski center. This makes the ski feel more balanced and gives you a longer tail for stomping landings. Jib and park skiers usually mount at center for more fore/aft balance. When the S7s came out, the recommended mounting point was +3. I wanted to mount it at the 0 line but there was a foul up at the shop (partially my fault) and I got it back at +3. They offered to remount it but I decided to ski it before drilling new holes. Part of the reason you shouldn't move up the mount point is that you get less shovel and end up burying the tip in deep snow. This was a concern for me since I tend to ski with all my weight driven forward. I haven't had problems with tip dive with the S7s rocker. Someday, I may change the mount to the 0 line just to see how that goes but I find no problem with the +3 mount.

OK this helps. Thank you!

What is the difference in length between these increments?

snowmonster

^ 3 centimeters. Glad to help.

IIRC, the 0 line and the center line on twin tipped skis are different. If you get a tape measure and stretch it from tip to tip, the exact center should fall on the +3 mark on the S7 (I hope I'm right on this). The 0 line will be 3 cms back. With the bindings mounted on the +3 line, I feel like I'm skiing on the exact center of the ski making it easy to pivot. There is less shovel in front so when I really lean forward and drive the tips, it may seem short. An added plus is that, with less shovel, there's less ski to slot between the trees. On the other hand, I sometimes miscalculate how much tail I have, turn immediately after passing tight trees then bang the skis sideways on the tree.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Huck_It_Baby.... do yourself a favor and mount standard boot center unless you have a specific reason for doing otherwise (and because someone else on the internet did it is not really a very good reason). I am a big proponent that mount point is the great untapped "fitting" aspect for most skiers. But that doesn't mean trial and error is any better. You can seriously screw up a ski's performance by messing with the mounting point. snowmonster seems to prefer a very forward mount but you couldn't pay me to ski on a binding mounted +3cm forward. Basically, if you are not ready to remount via trial and error and you don't have a specific reason for your own preference (not someone else's) mount standard boot center (not ski center, unless you want park/pipe/jib performance and/or prefer a dead center mount for whatever reason).

Black Phantom

Huck_It_Baby.... do yourself a favor and mount standard boot center unless you have a specific reason for doing otherwise (and because someone else on the internet did it is not really a very good reason). I am a big proponent that mount point is the great untapped "fitting" aspect for most skiers. But that doesn't mean trial and error is any better. You can seriously screw up a ski's performance by messing with the mounting point. snowmonster seems to prefer a very forward mount but you couldn't pay me to ski on a binding mounted +3cm forward. Basically, if you are not ready to remount via trial and error and you don't have a specific reason for your own preference (not someone else's) mount standard boot center (not ski center, unless you want park/pipe/jib performance and/or prefer a dead center mount for whatever reason).

This is very sound advice.

If are not 100% committed to an alternate mount, traditional (mfr rec) is the way to go.

snowmonster

Just to be clear, the S7 has several manufacturer specified mounting points printed on the topsheet: +6, +3, and 0. The different mounting points are recommended for the following respective applications: park & pipe, BC jib or park and freeride.I have the S7 Caballero and the later models starting with the S7 Barras had a -2 mount point for powder. All this translates to varied weight distribution which changes the characteristics of the ski's performance. Unless you want to have a lot of holes in your ski, you stick to one mounting point. Ideally, before you mount your bindings, you've taken into consideration what you want your ski to do, where you want to ski it and what application you intend to use it for. Riv is right, mounting position is the last untapped fitting aspect for most skiers. I actually messed around with the idea of mounting the bindings at 1.5 to split the difference between recommended mounting points. However, I didn't have enough confidence to mess around with the manufacturer's recommendations. Whatever mount point you choose, be sure to measure the ski. The line on the top sheet may be off. Some early S7s had the topsheet printed wrong and the lines were off by a bit (I know the topsheet of my Squads were a bit off).

If you want to play around with mounting points but don't want to redrill, get the Marker Schizo. The bindings move 3 cms front and back with a flick of a switch.

All my other skis are mounted on the line. I have a new RC112 and I just got a pair of Barons for it. Since I may be doing short tours and using this on big mountain terrain (i.e., around the Presidentials), I'm mounting them right at the line.

Whatever you do, have fun in the snow. All this tech talk is just a way to have skiing on the mind before the feast comes next month. See you out there!

Huck_It_Baby

Snowmonster, Phantom, Rivercoil and everyone else you guys are super helpful, thank you so much!

I'm nervous to mount too far forward but I like a little bit of a center mount to make it easy to throw rotations and jib however I'm by no means a park rat. My time is spent chasing storms and ripping pow in the woods and that is the priority here.

I found a huge difference with my Rossi Scratches and B3's when hitting jumps and doing 360's and this was due, in part, to the Scratches being mounted in the center.

I am in such ski withdrawal right now! I can't even concentrate at work!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Do most bindings today adjust? My skis from last season that I've been wearing into the ground have some sort of Atomic bindings (name escapes me at the moment) but they actually just have a cantilever that you push and then you can slide the entire binding forward and back on the ski. I think they actually have it named, i.e. one side is "moguls" and the other side is "GS" or something.

Puck it

Do most bindings today adjust? My skis from last season that I've been wearing into the ground have some sort of Atomic bindings (name escapes me at the moment) but they actually just have a cantilever that you push and then you can slide the entire binding forward and back on the ski. I think they actually have it named, i.e. one side is "moguls" and the other side is "GS" or something.

Most intregrated bindings I think do this. Like Tyrolia railflex systems.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Yeah, I had played with it but I'm not sure if I ever actually noticed a difference. I'm planning on new skis this year and will try out some different options.

Huck_It_Baby

I know the feeling.....My withdrawal is bad this fall much worse then other years. Cant come soon enough!

I think it gets progressively worse every single year for me.

If I didn't have a huge collection of Ski DVD's I wouldn't even make it through the off season. I am literally depressed at the end of every season.