• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Smarts Mountain 19 Sep 2011 - the long way

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
NH 9 miles round trip, 2300 vertical. On the AT. Most thru hikers are thru.

IMG_3874.JPG

Thank you DOC! :)

IMG_3872.JPG

You have to think twice about this one. Pretty wet, no other options.

IMG_3898.JPG

WTF? I'm going up THERE??? I already did 3 miles and 1000 vertical :(
IMG_3904.JPG

IMG_3877.JPG

Well SOMEONE has got to DO IT!

IMG_3894.JPG

IMG_3888.JPG

IMG_3891.JPG

IMG_3880.JPG

IMG_3882.JPG

IMG_3883.JPG

IMG_3885.JPG

IMG_3896.JPG

IMG_3895.JPG

IMG_3908.JPG

Washouts were everywhere.

IMG_3876.JPG

THE END ;)

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Good report. Thanks. That is a nice hike. So I take it that you took a different route than what the DOC suggests and the one that I did some time ago? I did the Ranger Trail up, Lambert Ridge down. Great views from the tower and a nice loop.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Good report. Thanks. That is a nice hike. So I take it that you took a different route than what the DOC suggests and the one that I did some time ago? I did the Ranger Trail up, Lambert Ridge down. Great views from the tower and a nice loop.

Ranger Sux. And with the wetness of late, it just makes it worse. Got that info from some locals. I went about 1/4 mile up Ranger to see what I could see. Nothing more than a really bad drainage ditch. I did Lambert both ways, so not much different.
Part of the fun was finding the trailhead, as opposed to the north approach to Cubic Equation. I decided to get SMARTS first! :razz:

CTNoob

Nice report Bill. Amazing how the camera flattens out the terrain, that iron bar section is way steeper than it looks in the pic! My thoughts were exactly the same when you get to the first outlook and Smarts is still a distant mass. Then you DESCEND and wind around before climbing again.

The scenery is worth it. Really wild country especially looking south and east.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
My first hike in NH was here 20 years ago with my brother. We had lunch in the fire tower. Thanks for sharing.