• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What's the hot ski this year?

kickstand

Sure it is, if you're buying a Volkswagen.

There isn't enough in this forum for me to get into what has gone wrong with my wife's Volkswagen Jetta. When she got it, I bet it was a fine car, but when that thing started having problems, it was more like falling off a 10,000 foot cliff than just going downhill. We're bailing on it and getting another Toyota.

NYDrew

Funny, I got a 86 camaro with 210,000 on it...still can get me anywhere...and fast.

98 honda civic with 102000...i love that thing.

The only car i've ever owned which I don't still own is my 88 BMW....I couldn't even sell the thing...had it crushed.

Birdman829

There isn't enough in this forum for me to get into what has gone wrong with my wife's Volkswagen Jetta. When she got it, I bet it was a fine car, but when that thing started having problems, it was more like falling off a 10,000 foot cliff than just going downhill. We're bailing on it and getting another Toyota.

Is it a 1.8T? They had lots of problems with the turbo engines after they made the switch halfway throught the 1999 model year. The 2 liter normally aspirated engines run forever. I suppose it's still too early to know what the reliability of the new 5 cylinder engines will be like.

kickstand

Is it a 1.8T? They had lots of problems with the turbo engines after they made the switch halfway throught the 1999 model year. The 2 liter normally aspirated engines run forever. I suppose it's still too early to know what the reliability of the new 5 cylinder engines will be like.

I honestly don't know for sure, but it is a 2000 model, so it probably isn't a 1.8T. There hasn't been any engine problems, just problems with everything else.

dmo

Actually, the Volkl AC4 replaces the old 7.24 Ax4, NOT the 7.24 Pro.

The 7.24 Pro was originally designed as a bridging ski between the Ax3 and the Ax4. It had very similar flex to the Ax4 and a width between the two. Then, for whatever reason, Volkl didn't make the "4," or wider version. They quickly fixed that mistake and re-issued it with the AC4.

I ride the 7.24 Pro with Look binders as my everyday ski. I heart it.

However, if you're smart, you'd just stick to Dirck's "BWM's"--whatever those are.

Rushski

Volkl has and continues to put out a strong line of skis. The AC3 or 5-Star (or whatever they call it this year) will be my purchase at the end of the year prices. Would seriously look at Fischers (RX, AMC) too.

Not a big Atomic or K2 fan. They feel dead on my feet, but just my opinion so don't react too harshly.

As for the BMW vs. Toyota thing, I love BMWs they just wouldn't be practical for some. Price obviously and reliabililty is decent but not great. Friend's wife had her 325i in for a steering issue (only a year old, low miles) and they had to replace the whole column. Also, as much as I love the X5, it couldn't even dream of going offroad with a Land Cruiser or FJ Cruiser...

madskier6

The AC3 or 5-Star (or whatever they call it this year) will be my purchase at the end of the year prices.

Just a point of clarification: the AC3 and the 5-Star are 2 separate and distinct skis. The 5-Star, which they are calling the S5 this year, is a hardpack carving ski. The AC3 is an all-mountain, all conditions ski (hence the "AC" for "all conditions").

Just thought you might like to know.

Rushski

Thanks Jeff/madskier6, I know that the AC3 and 5S are distinctly different creatures. Kind of like Fischer with the RX Vs. AMC lines. Just depends on how I will approach the slopes. AC/AMC can handle the whole mountain pretty well and like you said the Star line is more a hardpack carver (like the Fischer RXs).

Not sure which way I will lean, will see shat happens...

eastcoastskiier

I HAVE a pair of the rossignol R11 MUTIX skis.. had them since last Feb. and THEY ARE AMAZING.. i used them about 7 times time year towards the end of the season which really game me a chance to use them on ALL types of snow; soft packed, hard packed, crud, groomers.. the works.. I HIGHLY reccomend them.. and the change between short arms and long arms is EXTREMELY noticable.
look at it this way.. the Z9's are like a VW tourage, the B2's are you porche cayane turbo, and the Mutix are your Porche carrera GT. If you have the short arms on you can turn these things on a DIME, super nimble!!, with the longer arms on they stiffin up a great deal, and make you ski a more GS type turn with a great pop.
as you may think you cannot mix long and short arms on the same end of the ski.. BUT its great to mix a pair of arms (ie short in front, long in back). My setup is short arms up front and long arms in the back i have found after a few runs and test that this setup suits me perfectly. the short arms in the front let you inniciate turns without any hassel, the ski just sinks in the turn. the long arms in the back give you that aggresive POP when exiting the turn.

Rossignol give you a kit packaged together in a really nice bag, easy to bring to the mountain, and store untill you want to make a change. Its not a change to be made on the trail, but more of something to be done on a lunchbreak. it take about 10min or less to swap the arms, and rossignol gives you the special star key in the bag..

All in all i Highly recommend these skis, the price is high. but you are getting an amazing ski that is not heavey at all and performs FlAWLESLY!!

eastcoastskiier

I also tested the new atomic B5's and the new SX 12's Both are fanominal skis. but they BOTH have HUGE drawbacks.. they are EXTREMELY HEAVEY. i put the skis on and by the time i skated to the lift my legs were burnig.. fininally there, i sat down and sitting on the chair lift is suppost to be relieving.. instead it was horrible! the weight of the skis and bindings was soo much that my knees and ankles got extremely soar, it wasn't until i was able to get over to a lift with leg rest that the lift ride was comforting. HOWEVER, a ski is designed to ski, not sit on lifts with, once skiing they were GREATTT at mach 10.. there was absolutly NO chatter or even signs of chatter, both designed for broad GS turns, for they are VERY stiff.
ONLY use these when there is nobody on the slopes.. they are only fun at high speeds when you can cruise: the weigh causes them to really grip the snow and hold a great highspeed turn.
at slower speeds these skis are NO FUN. they were too heavey to really have fun on.

A GREAT ATOMIC ski is the new METRON series!!! for the price you get a ski that is super easy to use, hold a great edge, and i found no problems or any bad issues about these skis!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Hawkshot99

I also tested the new atomic B5's and the new SX 12's Both are fanominal skis. but they BOTH have HUGE drawbacks.. they are EXTREMELY HEAVEY. i put the skis on and by the time i skated to the lift my legs were burnig.. fininally there, i sat down and sitting on the chair lift is suppost to be relieving.. instead it was horrible! the weight of the skis and bindings was soo much that my knees and ankles got extremely soar, it wasn't until i was able to get over to a lift with leg rest that the lift ride was comforting. HOWEVER, a ski is designed to ski, not sit on lifts with, once skiing they were GREATTT at mach 10.. there was absolutly NO chatter or even signs of chatter, both designed for broad GS turns, for they are VERY stiff.
ONLY use these when there is nobody on the slopes.. they are only fun at high speeds when you can cruise: the weigh causes them to really grip the snow and hold a great highspeed turn.
at slower speeds these skis are NO FUN. they were too heavey to really have fun on.

A GREAT ATOMIC ski is the new METRON series!!! for the price you get a ski that is super easy to use, hold a great edge, and i found no problems or any bad issues about these skis!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Yup he is correct. I was there with him that day and tried all the skiis as well. Will most lickely get the Mutix's.

madskier6

When you were describing your experience with the Atomic B5, I thought you were talking about the Metron B5. Your reference to the Metron series in the last paragraph suggests a different experience with Metrons. You must have skied the SX B5.

I own the Metron B5 and love the way they ski. I will admit that they are heavy, as you describe in your first paragraph, but that aspect is not so significant for me to otherwise turn me off on their excellent performance (at least for me).

Assuming you skied the SX B5, did you think those were heavier than the Metron B5s? I have heard otherwise but I've never skied the SX B5 so I don't know from personal experience.

Hawkshot99

When you were describing your experience with the Atomic B5, I thought you were talking about the Metron B5. Your reference to the Metron series in the last paragraph suggests a different experience with Metrons. You must have skied the SX B5.

I own the Metron B5 and love the way they ski. I will admit that they are heavy, as you describe in your first paragraph, but that aspect is not so significant for me to otherwise turn me off on their excellent performance (at least for me).

Assuming you skied the SX B5, did you think those were heavier than the Metron B5s? I have heard otherwise but I've never skied the SX B5 so I don't know from personal experience.

I am 90% sure he is talking the Metron B5. I believe teh only SX ski we demo'd was the SX12.

I liked the Metron B5, for high speed, but slowing down I wasnt a fan.

Dirk109

Some of these "reports" bother me. Hawkshot99 said he liked the B5 for "High Speeds" Well it is a 12 metre ski. It wasn't really built for "High Speeds" It was built for slower speeds.

And to answer your question, The SXB5 and the MB5 weigh about the same.

Hawkshot99

Some of these "reports" bother me. Hawkshot99 said he liked the B5 for "High Speeds" Well it is a 12 metre ski. It wasn't really built for "High Speeds" It was built for slower speeds.

And to answer your question, The SXB5 and the MB5 weigh about the same.

I skied last years model up at Jimney. When I was trying to ski it short turns, it was really throwing me around, but when I let them run they felt good.

eastcoastskiier

yes they are both about the same weight, and that weight is quite heavey.. I cant remember which B5 it was, the metron or the SX, either way it was extremely heavey, great at high speeds, but too heavey to really be able to throw it around at slow speeds

and yes the metron 7 and 8 are AMAZING skis

Dirk109

You guys are making no sense!!! The Metron skis are Slalom side cut skis (Except the MB5 Connected) 12 to 14 meter skis. Slow to Mid speed type skis.............