• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New garage door opener with Internet connectivity

Black Phantom

:blink:It had to happen. From Sears.

I'm going to hold out for the internet-enabled toilet, compelete with webcam. :-o

You might want to re-think that second thought my good friend.

Aurora father figure charged with secretly taping girl, 16, in restroom

CENTENNIAL — An Aurora man whom a teenage girl trusted and considered to be like a father to her is charged with secretly videotaping her in the bathroom and other places.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_18941328

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
You might want to re-think that second thought my good friend.

Aurora father figure charged with secretly taping girl, 16, in restroom

CENTENNIAL — An Aurora man whom a teenage girl trusted and considered to be like a father to her is charged with secretly videotaping her in the bathroom and other places.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_18941328

OK. I was thinking that, but hoping for a creative retort. I recant the webcam, just leave the internet connection.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I'm up for that idea. Better than giving out a password a contractor or something could use whenver. They call you , you open the door, close it when they are done, end of story.

Glenn

Bingo. A great way to let someone into the house....then lock up after they leave.

Glenn

I think something like this (or an remote deadbolt) coupled with a security camera or two would be great. Our oil company has good techs and it's usually the same guy who comes to our house. I'd have no problem remotely letting him in...then having a cam in the utility room to verify that's where he actually is. That would be a huge time saver. Maybe another cam near the front door to verify that he's left the house.

Geoff

I think something like this (or an remote deadbolt) coupled with a security camera or two would be great. Our oil company has good techs and it's usually the same guy who comes to our house. I'd have no problem remotely letting him in...then having a cam in the utility room to verify that's where he actually is. That would be a huge time saver. Maybe another cam near the front door to verify that he's left the house.

Why don't you have your servants let the oil guy in?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I have guys doing my hardwood floors right now (I'm in Atlanta) and I've been watching them on my home security camera to make sure they don't drink all my booze I had to move into the other room :lol:

Glenn

That's pretty cool. What kind of IP cams do you have? I was kicking around an outdoor Foscam to keep an eye on things.

Glenn

That's good to know. I've heard there were some fakes on Amazon and people ran into firmware issues. maybe they resolved it. I know they're a bit cheaper on amazon vs focam.us.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
http://gizmodo.com/5844723/now-you-...-your-garage-door-from-anywhere-on-the-planet

The AssureLink Garage Door Opener by Craftsman works like a normal garage door opener, using either a chain or belt driven system. The difference is that you can monitor and control the door from virtually any device with an internet connection. After installing the opener itself, you connect the AssureLink Gateway to your router, register and activate an AssureLink account (which costs $20/year after the honeymoon year—hey, obsession's costly), and download the control app to your device. You'll then be able to check the Up or Down status of the door and activate it remotely if the mood strikes.