• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Zealand, Bond, West Bond - 9/22-23/06

skibum9995

Dates Hiked: 9/22-23/06

Trails Hiked: Zealand Trail, Twinway, Zealand Spur, Bondcliff Trail, West Bond Spur

Total Distance: 18.2 mi

Difficulty: Moderate to Difficult

Conditions: Wet and Muddy

Special Required Equipment: Rain Gear

Trip Report:
I had no classes on Friday so I decided to go on an overnight trip to the Bonds. Started off from Zealand Rd at 8:30 and was at the hut before I realized it. I stopped for a quick snack and headed up the Twinway to the Zeacliff outlook. The rain clouds were moving in but there were still nice views to be had. The Twinway in this area over to Zealand Mt has stretches of flat trail followed by sections of steep trail giving it a kind of staircase effect. I took the short spur to the summit of Zealand to take in the amazing views of trees and then headed for Guyot. I took a break on the summit of Guyot to eat my lunch then started off to the Guyot shelter. I got to the shelter at about 1:00 and planned to empty a bunch of stuff out of my pack to reserve my spot and lighted my load for the trip to the Bonds. After I unpacked I sat down leaning against the wall of the shelter to eat a snack and look at my map but I promptly fell asleep probably due to the fact that I didn’t sleep at all the night before. When I woke up I decided to save the Bonds for the next day. I was surprised to have the shelter to myself on a Friday night but it was a welcome surprise, all of the tent platforms were occupied. On Saturday I awoke to rain and some people who had abandoned their tent platform for the roof of the shelter to cook breakfast. I ate and packed up and took off for the Bonds. I first took the spur to West Bond and by the time I got back to the Bondcliff trail I was soaked, partially from the rain, but mostly from sweating from wearing rain gear. I went up to Bond to get a nice view of the inside of a rain cloud and decided to save Bondcliff for another day and head for my car. The rain stopped when I got to treeline on Guyot but the trail was full of mud and slippery rocks and roots which made for an interesting descent.

Some pics
All pics are from Fri because I didn't feel like stopping in the rain to take pics on Sat.

MtnMagic

... I took the short spur to the summit of Zealand to take in the amazing views of trees ... I went up to Bond to get a nice view of the inside of a rain cloud ...
Thanks for the laughs!
I love to hike the Bonds, a group of went last Saturday on a traverse Z to Lin-wood. You are right to save Bondcliff for a better viewing day. Nice t.r.!

Mike P.

Going this weekend from LW if weather cooperates. I've done them on a good day & a bad day, prefer the good day. I do like the Zealand sign. Last picture I have of it was with friend's wife next to it, a better picture then with either of the two sweaty unshaven Italians she was hiking with...