• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

is there a way....

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
1) To get to choose whether you want your mobile device to load the mobile or regular browser versions?

2) If not, is there a way to at least give the links to pictures and videos embedded within posts. This is, IMHO, the worst thing about this site. And, as I (and I am sure the general trend is in the same direction) do a substantial amount of browsing on my mobile, it is a huge detraction.

twinplanx

I thought I was the only one w/ this issue. I don't have one of them fancy iphones or a droid. I figure the mobile site works better on those, but what do I know? I do feel like I'm missing out sometimes but its better then no AZat all. Bummer Dude :(

Puck it

I use Skyfire which allow it to load as a normal webpage on my iPad no other way.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
What browser are you using?

In Android, you can go into your browser --> Menu button --> Settings --> uncheck "Mobile View".

If you haven't tried it yet I would highly recommend Tapatalk if you have an Android or iPhone. There is a free version that does not allow you to post but lets you browse the site. There is also a paid version ($3.99, I think) that lets you post as well. It renders the site much better and is way easier to use, IMO. Finger-friendly. Plus you can see all the images :)

bvibert

Staff member
Nick, there should be a way to to have a link that allows the user to chose between the mobile and full site regardless of what browser they're using. A lot of sites have that. You can switch from full to mobile here easily by changing the theme to Mobile, but it's not easy to change back (even on a desktop browser) without some trickery.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Yeah I was just looking at the mobile site earlier to see if that link existed and I noticed it wasn't.

I can play around a bit to see if we can switch it out for the Mobile theme only. In the bottom-left corner there is a drop down on the main page, i.e. something like that. ...

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Damnit. it works on my laptop but not on my Verizon Android.

Hmm.... it's like forcing it to be mobile. I know there's a way around it, I just need to figure it out.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Well, if I disable the "view mobile versions of websites" on my Android and then click the "Switch to classic view", it works. Not sure how that functions on an iPhone, though, if that's what you are running .

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Sorry for missing that, I read too quickly :)

I took a quick look but couldn't find anything for BB specifically. I know there is a way to force disable the mobile site, just need to figure out how...

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Yeah I really like it on the Android / iPhone, makes it very easy to navigate with your fingers, which you normally don't do on a blackberry but the Torch is touchscreen, right?

I'll keep digging around. Never as easy as I'd like it to be :roll:

MR. evil

I seem to remember that when the AZ mobile site first came online pictures would show up as links. Was a setting changed along the way, or new software implimented?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I might try a different layout. Vbulletin has a "light" layout which I think is different than the current "mobile" one.