• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Steve Jobs

Glenn

Puck it

Jobs was a great business and marketing genius. IMHO, not a great engineering genius though.

wa-loaf

Jobs was a great business and marketing genius. IMHO, not a great engineering genius though.

No, what he did is take the complicated crap that engineers put together and distilled it into a well functioning and easy to use product that non-engineers could use and enjoy. Might not be engineering, but it's a lot more than just business and marketing.

Puck it

No, what he did is take the complicated crap that engineers put together and distilled it into a well functioning and easy to use product that non-engineers could use and enjoy. Might not be engineering, but it's a lot more than just business and marketing.

No, it is not, but that is my opinion.

bigbog

The father of the C programming language and UNIX died last week, no one seems to care about him.
http://techcrunch.com/2011/10/13/father-of-c-and-unix-dennis-ritchie-passes-away-at-age-70/
Without his contributions none of what Steve Jobs (or just about anyone else in the computing world) did would have been possible.

I've often found that the media has a tough time documenting "progress" in the way it actually happens... Even the good documentaries eventually leave out valuable contributions that were major technical hurdles(at the time)........

SkiDork

all the mega superstars in the tech industry were not the highest echelon techies. Jobs, Gates etc. These guys have a different skill set, some of which is implementing a vision, being able to get others to buy into it (by whatever means) etc.

Edd

Did anyone go out and get the Steve Jobs book yet?

I dowloaded it (on my Touchpad..HA!) months ago and started devouring it recently. I used a Kindle app to buy it so eventually I started reading it on my iPhone so I read a few pages whenever I had a minute.

Damn good book. So much I didn't know about him, especially how he was still so involved with Pixar and Apple at the same time. At one point or another he seemed to cross paths with every powerful CEO, celebrity, or world leader.

Highly recommend this book.