• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How to get decent gear at a ski swap

hammer

Planning on going to the ski swap at Wachusett this weekend and I'm wondering if I could get some advice on how to get the best gear at a swap. I've been to a number of them and have purchased skis and boots before, but most of the time there's a lot of questionable stuff and it can also be difficult to know what to look for.

I'm mainly looking for frontside/night league racing skis for myself and possibly a replacement set of all-mountain skis for the spouse. We both bought new boots at the end of last season (great deals through REI.com) so we are set there I think.

TIA for any tips.

wa-loaf

Get there early! Wachusett does have people around you can some help with and there is usually a bunch of front side type skis.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I agree with the advice of getting there early. Get there at opening actually. There will be a mob getting ready to enter (though I imagine since I am in the Mtn Time Zone they have already opened by the look of the time). Also, have a good idea of gear for the last two years or so and what you are looking for (type, price, size, brand, etc.) Worse comes to worst, know the brand and color/design of the item you are looking for. Carry cash. Some places don't take credit cards. Make a list. And review those gear guides for the last few years to bone up on info. Happy hunting!

hammer

Picked up a pair of used Fischer Progressor 9+ skis in good condition for $275. Seemed like there was a decent selection of demo skis and a good number of race skis as well. Looked for women's skis for the DW but there weren't many and most were on the longer side.

It was pretty busy but more of the activity in the morning was from people dropping off equipment.

Was a good day to hike to the top of the mountain. Nice and clear at the top but it was a bit hazy. Looks like the fall colors are late though.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Picked up a pair of used Fischer Progressor 9+ skis in good condition for $275. Seemed like there was a decent selection of demo skis and a good number of race skis as well. Looked for women's skis for the DW but there weren't many and most were on the longer side.

It was pretty busy but more of the activity in the morning was from people dropping off equipment.

Was a good day to hike to the top of the mountain. Nice and clear at the top but it was a bit hazy. Looks like the fall colors are late though.
Good find! good price as well. Fischers are good skis.