• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cardigan Labor Day Redux: September 4, 2006

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date(s) Hiked: Monday, September 4, 2006

Trails(s) Hiked: West Ridge to Summit, Clark to South Peak, Detour on Hermitage/Rim Rock/Skyland Trail back to West Ridge due to Rain

Total Distance: 4 miles or so

Difficulty: Moderate

Conditions: Visibility restricted to 40 miles or so, rain on descent forced detour to avoid steep pitches.

Special Required Equipment: --

Trip Report: Again, another trip I needed to report...we did a short run up Cardigan on Labor Day to get the juices flowing. Rain was threatening, so we got on the trail and headed up West Ridge at a good clip. The trail was still wet in places and slick, but upper slopes were dry. We summited at around 2:30pm or so and watched the rains come in from the west. It was cool and windy, but not too bad. Views NE were good. Lots of folks were heading down. We headed down to South Peak, where we met another couple who were in sneakers and carrying a water bottle. It had started to sprinkle.

"So is that the top?" The guy asked me.
"Yep, but it is a steep climb and rain is heading this way. I'd probably head back and save it for another day. The mountain will always be there."
"THANK GOD." Said his tired female companion. "I'm ready to head home."

So they headed back down...

Shortly after, we hit Rim Rock in the rain and detoured back to West Ridge and the old Hermitage before cutting back down and out. A descent on South Ridge in the rain was not desired...

A nice short stroll on a real gem....