• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Elk Mountain Employee Dies on Mountain

Cornhead

Haven't heard any details, apparently was on a tractor that rolled down a trail.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
that's a freaky way to go, I can't imagine being on a ski slope and the brakes just let loose and you just have to go for the ride... RIP

Here's some more info I found:

http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/regional-briefs-10-12-2011-1.1217014

HERRICK TWP. - An em*ployee of Elk Mountain Ski Resort died when a tractor he was operating at the top of the mountain Tuesday afternoon toppled down a ski slope, state police said. Wayne Tietz, 49, of Herrick Center, died when the tractor rolled over several times down the Tunkhannock Slope according to state police at Gibson, who are investigating the incident.

Read more: http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/regional-briefs-10-12-2011-1.1217014#ixzz1aa5wtIvE

UVSHTSTRM

Shouldnt the tractor have been winched or tied off to something? I wonder if a chain broke.

That would be rare, of course it depends on what trail or road he was on. Perhaps it happend on a green trail, perhaps it was simply user error or equipment issues. For perspective, do cars coming down Mt Washington use a winch, do the skidders at Sugarloaf use winches when going up and down Spillway carrying cement?

4aprice

Tunk is pretty steep at the top so it not that surprising, tragic but not surprising. A great bump run for anyone that hasn't been to Elk. My sympathys to the family and the mountain.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

bigbob

do the skidders at Sugarloaf use winches when going up and down Spillway carrying cement?

They were tied off to the little beast which helped pull them up vie a snatch block anchored to an excavator at the top. So, to answer your question, yes.