• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Racing boots for 10 yo daughter?

trapedui

I'm looking to get new ski boots for my daughter. She is not a racer, but is in an advanced recreational skiing program for kids who don't want to race. They ski all over the mountain each weekend, doing groomers, moguls, trees and a few gates.

So far, her equipment has been cobbled together with pretty inexpensive used skis and boots we have found on the internet. We don't do seasonal rentals, because we have a younger daughter who grows into the old stuff. Last years boots were pretty cheap, rear-enty kids boots. My daughter never complained, but her instructor felt that they may be holding her back.

My question is this. Should I buy her a pair of serious racing boots? Or will she do better in softer, recreational boots? Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a very good selection of youth boots. Most youth boots are either marketed for racing or for entry level skiers. The boots should be comfortable and warm because she will wear them every weekend day in the winter. I have never owned racing boots, so I am not really sure how thin and stiff they tend to be.

A local store has a great deal on the 2009 model Atomic junior racing boots (see description and link below to current model). These look like great boots and the price is right, but I worry that they may not be comfortable enough to be her primary ski boots. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

The RT CS 80 is ATOMIC's premium junior race boot and is uncompromising in its ability to convert power into speed.

A narrow Race last and direct power transmission are the hallmarks of this boot. Featuring a 98 mm last width, four lightweight RS Alu 6000 buckles and a Power Strap, the RT CS 80 provides especially precise support. Thanks to the ASY Junior Pro liner and hard flex, every last ounce of power is transferred directly to the ski. Making the RT CS 80 the ideal race boot for the World Champions of tomorrow.

http://www.atomicsnow.com/en-US/Products/Alpine/Boots/Race/RT_CS_80/AE5003340.aspx?filter=468:1

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Like for adults, fit is the number one priority on boots for kids. Also, do a little shopping around, there are lots of junior boots that are 4 buckle, front entry that are not "race" boots. These will probably be more comfortable and will provide more performance than a rear entry pos.

http://www.langeskiboots.com/US/US/junior-boots-1112.html just as one example.

wa-loaf

Like for adults, fit is the number one priority on boots for kids. Also, do a little shopping around, there are lots of junior boots that are 4 buckle, front entry that are not "race" boots. These will probably be more comfortable and will provide more performance than a rear entry pos.

http://www.langeskiboots.com/US/US/junior-boots-1112.html just as one example.

This, there is a middle ground between rear entry and race boots. Find some good fitting 3-4 buckle overlap boots.

Philpug

CS 80 may be a bit stiff for a 10 Year old. How much does she weigh?

Yeah but.....

I'm looking to get new ski boots for my daughter. She is not a racer, but is in an advanced recreational skiing program for kids who don't want to race. They ski all over the mountain each weekend, doing groomers, moguls, trees and a few gates.

So far, her equipment has been cobbled together with pretty inexpensive used skis and boots we have found on the internet. We don't do seasonal rentals, because we have a younger daughter who grows into the old stuff. Last years boots were pretty cheap, rear-enty kids boots. My daughter never complained, but her instructor felt that they may be holding her back.

My question is this. Should I buy her a pair of serious racing boots? Or will she do better in softer, recreational boots? Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a very good selection of youth boots. Most youth boots are either marketed for racing or for entry level skiers. The boots should be comfortable and warm because she will wear them every weekend day in the winter. I have never owned racing boots, so I am not really sure how thin and stiff they tend to be.

A local store has a great deal on the 2009 model Atomic junior racing boots (see description and link below to current model). These look like great boots and the price is right, but I worry that they may not be comfortable enough to be her primary ski boots. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

The RT CS 80 is ATOMIC's premium junior race boot and is uncompromising in its ability to convert power into speed.

A narrow Race last and direct power transmission are the hallmarks of this boot. Featuring a 98 mm last width, four lightweight RS Alu 6000 buckles and a Power Strap, the RT CS 80 provides especially precise support. Thanks to the ASY Junior Pro liner and hard flex, every last ounce of power is transferred directly to the ski. Making the RT CS 80 the ideal race boot for the World Champions of tomorrow.

http://www.atomicsnow.com/en-US/Products/Alpine/Boots/Race/RT_CS_80/AE5003340.aspx?filter=468:1

Isn't that the top priority in making sure the boot is the right one? :dontknow:

trapedui

Yeah but.....

Isn't that the top priority in making sure the boot is the right one? :dontknow:

Now, now. You don't need to make me look like an idiot ;-). I don't know much about ski boots, which is why I am posting here for advice. Unfortunately, my local store has not been very helpful. If I could come down to Wick's and buy from you, I definitely would, but I don't think I will make it to the Philadelphia area before ski season.

I want my daughter to be safe, warm and comfortable in her boots. The old Dalbello rear-entry boots acccomplished this goal for us last year. I have no interest in buying stiff racing boots that she won't be able to flex just because they are on sale.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Now, now. You don't need to make me look like an idiot ;-). I don't know much about ski boots, which is why I am posting here for advice. Unfortunately, my local store has not been very helpful. If I could come down to Wick's and buy from you, I definitely would, but I don't think I will make it to the Philadelphia area before ski season.

I want my daughter to be safe, warm and comfortable in her boots. The old Dalbello rear-entry boots acccomplished this goal for us last year. I have no interest in buying stiff racing boots that she won't be able to flex just because they are on sale.

What area do you live in. If you are near Hunter, try The Pro. If near Killington, Try Peak...IMHO.

trapedui

Thanks. We ski in the Catskills. I was going to try Jimmy's or Potter Brothers. I have not been to The Pro, but I may check that out as well.

trapedui

Thanks for the advice. Next time in the area, I'll go the The Pro and ask for Keith. I'll post about my experience here.

drjeff

CS 80 may be a bit stiff for a 10 Year old. How much does she weigh?

She weighs about 80 pounds.

FYIW - my daughter's an almost 8 year old, tall, aggressive skiing racer kid who weighs about 75lbs now. We just got her into, after her coach and the local boot fitter we goto at Mount Snow consulted with each other the Lange RSJ 60. I asked about the 70 vs. the 60 and the consensus was that if she was going to ski gates 90% of the time then to go with the 70, but if she was going to ski some bumps/trees/hit the park every now and then with her brother/friends that the 60 would be a much better all around boot from her. And that was with input from a former world cup racer coach who skied with my daughter 40+ days last year and the boot fitter who knows my daughter and her skiing style well

Madroch

FYIW - my daughter's an almost 8 year old, tall, aggressive skiing racer kid who weighs about 75lbs now. We just got her into, after her coach and the local boot fitter we goto at Mount Snow consulted with each other the Lange RSJ 60. I asked about the 70 vs. the 60 and the consensus was that if she was going to ski gates 90% of the time then to go with the 70, but if she was going to ski some bumps/trees/hit the park every now and then with her brother/friends that the 60 would be a much better all around boot from her. And that was with input from a former world cup racer coach who skied with my daughter 40+ days last year and the boot fitter who knows my daughter and her skiing style well

My 10 yo daughter was in an older model used Lange 60 last year- she was just learning gates-- real first timer racing wise-- but the boot served her well for that and free skiing. We tried to buy locally used-- the shop was great- did not have the boot model they would prefer for her used in her size-- fitted her to a new model-- told us they would call if a used model came in-- really appreciate thier efforts!. They never called and we got em cheap elsewhere but I used the shop a lot anyway for tunes and other purchases... so i didn't feel quite as bad.