• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Garfield - 10-1-06

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
Date(s) Hiked: 10-1-06

Trails(s) Hiked: Garfield Trail

Total Distance: 10.2

Difficulty: Pretty hard but not -that- bad

Conditions: Rainy, Intense wind

Special Required Equipment: Poncho was useful until being annihilated by wind.

Trip Report:

Finally got Garfield after two attempts to tack it onto other trips, I guess it was jsut out of reach enough to have to giv its own hike.

Main report is here:

http://hoosactunnel.net/nonhoosac/NH/Garfield061001

Let me tell you all, the wind up at the summit was unbelievable. A shame there was no view, but the 70+ mph wind in the little rock wind gap made it worth while..

thetrailboss

Staff member
You could only do it today? I would have said to wait until the weather changed. It was pretty dangerous out there I imagine.

Mike P.

Ditto on the view & I've seen it when stunning & when poking your head up out of the foundation on the summit stunned your face with wind & rain. Clear is better, an occasional day in the elements is not too bad with the right gear too.

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
top02.jpg

top09.jpg

top07.jpg

top14.jpg

Yup, doesn't suck.

-dave-

Mike P.

I'll guess at late April, early May or early November. We could look at Dave's site, www.hikethewhites.com to see the trip report too....
I'll have to figure out how to add a couple of my own when I get back from my trip this week

Last edited: