• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

problems re binding adjustment

andy

hi

i have a pair of skis with Salomon 737 bindings; bought in 1983 at the end of a ski season i'd worked in the alps....(then came marriage and 3 children, that's why they've never been used).

anyway, this year me and the eldest are off to ski in italy....so i got a pair of kofflach boots off e-bay, and i've no idea how to adjust the bindings to accomadate them....the boots are notably bigger than my last ones.

i'm quite practical, so i'm sure i'll understand the instructions, just need to know where to start.

Any ideas?

you can reply to me direct at andrewgilbert@waitrose.com if you prefer.

Thanks

Hawkshot99

I wouldnt feel safe reying on that old of a binding to release. There is a reason shops cant work on stuff that old.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Agree with what Hawkshot said. If you're looking for us to tell you what to do, my first advice is take them to a shop or a certified tech. That is what they are paid to do. If that fails, then you may not be making the best safety decision in using the equipment that you have. Technology has advanced so much in terms of safety and for good reason.

So I would take it to a certified tech who may help you.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
binding adjustments should be done by a qualified shop. if the bindings are as old as the skis, good luck finding a shop that will even touch them. probably time to invest in more modern equipment.

roark

Given that you're flying internationally and apparently don't ski that much - renting seems like good idea.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I agree with the renting advice. It is better to do that considering that you have not skied in a while. Plus you won't have to worry about losing the skis...

Hawkshot99

I agree with the renting advice. It is better to do that considering that you have not skied in a while. Plus you won't have to worry about losing the skis...

And the fact htat if your gonna spend the $ on a trip, you might as well enjoy it as much as you can. A newer design ski will make it much better.

andy

binding advice

Guys, thanks re advice....sorry I just need to clarify one point: Although the bindings date from 1983, I bought them new and I NEVER used them that season. Since buying them, I have only used them once , and that was, for only a week in 87. They are stored indoors, bagged up etc....Is there any reason why they might be less reliable over time, given that they're hardly used at all and in virtually new condition?

Andy

JimG.

Staff member
Guys, thanks re advice....sorry I just need to clarify one point: Although the bindings date from 1983, I bought them new and I NEVER used them that season. Since buying them, I have only used them once , and that was, for only a week in 87. They are stored indoors, bagged up etc....Is there any reason why they might be less reliable over time, given that they're hardly used at all and in virtually new condition?

Andy

Shops won't touch equipment that old for liability reasons...generally speaking. You might convince them that the bindings are actually new, but they would have to take your word.

I believe you, but in the world of corporate liability I doubt anyone else would. They're going to look at those shiny bindings and tell you "too old, we won't touch them". There are too many reasons (convince you to buy new stuff, no use of judgement in individual cases, etc) to not service them.

SkiDork

Dude - just tie leather straps around the skis and around your boots.. It'll work just as well and be cheaper (which is what you're looking for, correct?) You'll have a blast!!!

2knees

all jokes aside, the "technical" problem is that they arent indemnified. meaning the manufacturer does not back them anymore and therefor no ski shop will expose themselves to the liability of working on a binding that has been abandoned by its own manufacturer.

thetrailboss

Staff member
all jokes aside, the "technical" problem is that they arent indemnified. meaning the manufacturer does not back them anymore and therefor no ski shop will expose themselves to the liability of working on a binding that has been abandoned by its own manufacturer.

And indemnity usually expires after a set number of years. I've heard seven. So yeah, your 1983 bindings are new to you, but the technology is not current (no techs are familiar with it) and it is no longer indemnified.

Hawkshot99

And indemnity usually expires after a set number of years. I've heard seven. So yeah, your 1983 bindings are new to you, but the technology is not current (no techs are familiar with it) and it is no longer indemnified.

Nope their is no set number of years to make a binding be no good. It is based upon when they start to see a certain number of the bindings failing the function tests that they remove them from the list. So your particular bindings could be good for 50 years, but as a whole that model is no longer good, and shops will not work on them for liability reasons.

AHM

Consider this regarding the 737

Can you make the bindings work ?? Sure, could probably talk you through it right here. That is not the point though. It's been a while since you skied, the technology has changed significantly. Next, I ski europe regularly and hauling skis is a pain (I do it as I want my own boards, but euro rental is high end and pretty cheap). Finally, I bet if you consider the cost of an ACL reconstruction, you'll find it is double digit thousands and a whole lot more costly than renting some gear and turning your old stuff into an adirondack chair with the binding toe as a basement door handle. Given all of that, I would go with rental gear, properly adjusted, and have the piece of mind that most likely you won't be coming home on crutches, with surgery scheduled and a Don Joy 4 pt ACL brace being part of your gear collection.

kbroderick

AHM--the need for ACL reconstruction is unlikely to be affected by bindings. However, lower leg twisting fractures are, and those aren't pleasant, either.

To the original poster: two of the problems commonly seen with older bindings are spring fatigue and plastic fatigue. Both can have rather unpleasant effects; the latter has been known to result in Tyrolias suddenly becoming inoperable (i.e. exploding) and could conceivably be an issue with Salomons of that vintage. Even if you don't run into retention/release issues, how much fun would it be to step out of your skis at the top of some European run so you could wander around a bit and admire the view...and then have your bindings explode as you attempt to click back in, leaving you at the top of the hill with no way to get down it (unless you're really, really good at bootskiing)?

SKIQUATTRO

rent!!! the equipment is so much better these days, you'll enjoy yourself more on the slopes and wont have to deal with lugging skis thru the airport...my bro who lives in Florida came up 2 winters ago to ski, he brought is 10 yr old Technica boots...once the boots hit the cold snow, the entire bottom of the boot fell off !!!!!!! Plastic can dry out and crack after time....I would not trust those bindings.....

bigbog

Bindings!!

andy,
People can and probably will be talking about the pros/cons of skis with the newer sidecut, but one piece of equipment that Has without a doubt, improved with R&D is the binding! They're magnificent....I haven't read Page2, but get some of today's bindings!! and save your ACLs/knees/legs....

Last edited: