• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

From Utah: Park City Resorts Wish to Connect (UPDATED 2014 for ONE WASATCH Project)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Good we can bring all the illegal immigrants to your town & if you don't like it you can move on.

Huh?

Two different things there. Fwiw the connection points that need to be made won't consume that much land and no real prize bc spots that I'm aware of.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

thetrailboss

Staff member
And just read today that Solitude applied for a permit to replace the Summit Double with a HSQ.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

AdironRider

I am so lost about this, what the heck is the connection with immigrants and One Wasatch?
He's trying to equate deporting illegals to displacing a couple me first backcountry skiers. An odd comparison on every level.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Update on OneWasatch:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/58389385-90/ski-lift-canyons-plan.html.csp

The plan has been released:

91964.01_OneWasatch_Map_YellowLifts_4_2.jpg

Note that the lift configuration at Alta and Snowbird is probably 15 years off.....

http://onewasatch.com/

AdironRider

Except its really not that hard.

This would require about as much physical effort to connect Killington and Pico ultimately. Although the legal wrangling might be a wash between act 250 in VT and Nimby bc folks out in SLC.

skiNEwhere

Except its really not that hard.

This would require about as much physical effort to connect Killington and Pico ultimately. Although the legal wrangling might be a wash between act 250 in VT and Nimby bc folks out in SLC.

Key words being physical effort. Not sure how bad the environmental politics are in UT

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Rigghhhttttt... because if Canyons can't build simple connecting gondola then this is totally feasible.

And I believe the reason why the Canyons-Solitude gondola was shot down was because of the backlash from the backcountry enthusiasts who that thought saving a few acres of precious BC terrain was more valuable than eliminating an hours drive to the other side of the canyon. And the environmentalists didn't like it either....

thetrailboss

Staff member
Rigghhhttttt... because if Canyons can't build simple connecting gondola then this is totally feasible.

And I believe the reason why the Canyons-Solitude gondola was shot down was because of the backlash from the backcountry enthusiasts who that thought saving a few acres of precious BC terrain was more valuable than eliminating an hours drive to the other side of the canyon. And the environmentalists didn't like it either....

The OneWasatch Plan really does not involve THAT much additional terrain. A big reason why SkiLink has been tabled was because of the reaction to Talisker's attempt to buy/obtain the federal land and the "go around" move to get the Feds to give them the land. That was what sparked anger.

ScottySkis

. And the environmentalists didn't like it either....

You know I dont get the enivionmentaists they say we should not cut down trees for trails but look at how many carraie trails are on all the hiking trails through out the counrty they do not complain about these.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
The OneWasatch Plan really does not involve THAT much additional terrain. A big reason why SkiLink has been tabled was because of the reaction to Talisker's attempt to buy/obtain the federal land and the "go around" move to get the Feds to give them the land. That was what sparked anger.

Neither did SkiLink. This is 4 skilinks.

x10003q

This version might actually happen. The planned lifts now is seem to be on private land. It would be great to visit the other areas without worrying about cars/buses/closed roads due to snow. It also might open up Alta to snowboarders.:-o

thetrailboss

Staff member
Neither did SkiLink. This is 4 skilinks.

Again, a large part of the furor with SkiLink was that Talisker tried to get the feds in DC to simply hand over the land to them. That was what pissed off folks.

The OneWasatch idea has been around for a long, long time. Only now are we getting the specifics as to where they want to link. The Grizzly Gulch connection is not "wilderness" or remote backcountry as some suggest. Nor is Guardsman Pass. Go up there any weekend in the warm weather months and there are cars everywhere. In the winter it is snowmobile mecca. From what I see they want to run two commuter lifts in each location such that folks are not going to be skiing in those areas but riding lifts.

Personally a part me would like to see this because the Utah ski areas do a lot for our economy here. But a part of me will admit that I'd like less people in LCC.