• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Acadia Carriage Roads 10.23.11

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
I go to Acadia for hiking regularly and have xc skied but never cycled. I decided to go with a friend and was pleasantly surprised. We rode about 26 miles with a couple miles overlapping at the start by the park visitor center. From the visitor center we passed Witch Hole Pond, The Bubbles, Jordan Pond, Day Mtn., Bubble Pond, Eagle Pond, to name a few. The trails are easy riding and very well graded. Not for anyone looking for a technical ride but a great way to see the park. The views are excellent taking in Mtns, lakes, and the Ocean with its many islands. I think there are close to 50 miles total so I plan to go again and ride some trails I didn't this time. A hybrid bike would do fine on the trails. We went on a beautiful Sunday and didn't see many people until the last 5 miles as it was closer to noon near the visitor center trailhead. Earlier in the morning traffic was sparse on the trails.

MommaBear

Was thinking of a trip back up there next year (haven't been since kids were much smaller). We biked a small section of the carriage trails. Is there a trail map available for the trails you took - your description sounds like something we'd be interested in.