• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Adams & Madison

Max

I had the day off from work on Friday, so at the last minute, around 9 PM Thursday night, I decided to pack my gear and head up to hopefully do a couple of the Presidentials. The alarm came early at 3:00 AM, and after a quick stop at the donut shop for coffee and a muffin, I'm on the road for a 3 hour drive to Appalachia. There are 2 other cars in the lot and it looks like overnighters, probably at Crag Camp. I get my boots on, gather the gear and head out on the Valley Way at 6:45 AM. Perfect booting conditions, packed just right, and I settle into a nice steady pace, not stopping until I reach Madison hut 2 hours later. There's a bit of wind around the hut, perhaps 15-20 mph, and after a quick drink, I start up Madison's cone. 5 minutes up, the wind slams into me and the hood of my Gortex goes up until I reach the crest of the ridge just before the summit where I get into the leeward side and things are much improved. 9:05 AM, I'm on top and its a bit difficult to stand, so I quickly drop down a dozen yards behind a boulder. I set up the camera for a few self portraits. Great crystal clear day...looks like I could reach Mt. Washing ton from here with a driver and a 6 iron.

After mucking around for 15 minutes, I start down to the hut, then up the Gulfside and Airline trails to the summit of Adams. Here the wind is at my back as I climb the cone, and the conditions are still good enough that I have not needed the snowshoes nor the crampons. The wind is just as fierce on top as on Madison, but I drop to the east side and go through the picture routine again, and have a small bit to eat and drink. Incredible views into the Great Gulf. I scan the Gulfside trail and the summit of Jefferson, but I see no one else out here today. I call my wife on the cell phone and report in that I have not died, so don't cash the insurance policy yet. I hang around the summit for 30 minutes...I hate to leave, it's such a fantastic day, despite the wind.

Now it's the descent into the teeth of what must be a 40 mph blast, so I put on the face mask and goggles. Half way down, the wind is partially blocked by some rocks and the drop to the top of King Ravine goes quickly. Back at the hut, I navigate the short stretch of glare ice where the springs have glassed over the entire area, then it's back down the Valley way, boot skiing, sliding, running and other forms of general childish behavior. There is no one else around to witness my antics. The conditions make for a lighting fast descent...I make it from the hut back to Appalachia in 60 minutes, arriving at 12:30 PM. I had time to do Jefferson as well, but evening commitments at home get me back onto the road sooner than I'd have liked.

Still, it was a spectacular day, highlighted by the fact that I saw no one until partway down the Valley Way when I ran into a few guys on their way up to spend the night in the Edmands Col area. And 2 more off my winter list (#'s 39 and 40).

Max

Max

oops darn I put this in the wrong place...if you want to move it Greg, that's OK