• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Choosing a ski jacket

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Looking to dump the North Face shell I've been using for a few years. I'd like at least the following features:

Powder skirt
Vent zips in pits
Gore-tex 3-layer
Shell (I will layer underneath it)
Fits well, I can't stand big puffy jackets
Great hood design
Slightly longer, but not ridiculously long.. just enough to keep coverage when I'm moving around.

I was looking at some new Arctery'x, Patagonia, and North Face. I'm having a tough time though just because there are so many models.

Ideally I'd like to stay under $350 - $400.

Arctery'x has several models in the price range (well... maybe slighly above!) and I'm having a helluva time figuring out the differences between them.

Alpha LT
Beta AR
Stingray
Theta AR

No idea what the real differences here are...

On the Patagonia side, most look pre-insulated, except for maybe the Super Alpine jacket, but that one is > $500

North Face... presently I'm on a Summit Series

o3jeff

Go to a jacket fitter and find out what fits YOU properly! :wink:

I just bought a jacket and found a lot of the stuff out there is designed around a 6+ foot tall skinny guys.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
There are jacket fitters? Specifically? LIke a boot fitter?

Anyone have any suggestions in the Worcester area of a good place to go try some on?

wa-loaf

There are jacket fitters? Specifically? LIke a boot fitter?

Anyone have any suggestions in the Worcester area of a good place to go try some on?

TJMaxx has had some Cloudveil RPK Jackets. I've got one and am pretty happy with it. It's goretex shoftshell material. A little heavier than a shell, but a really good jacket with removable hood and powder skirt.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Lots of options. Too many to list. In my experiwigs TNF is hit or miss at best. Avoid it. Arc'tyrex is expensive...no experience. For hard shells, are you firm on GTX? There are lots of similar fabric systems that are similar and much cheaper and even better in terms of breathability. I own 3 main hard shells but save them for when I need waterproof performance (i.e. it is raining, wet snow, etc). That is for GTX. Everyday wear not so much because hard shells delaminate and are not as flexible. GTX tape eventually fails. I use softshells for everyday use including skiing. Durable, breathable, water repellant.

My mtn hardwear GTX is the best. Good outer shell, GTX pro shell layer, great liner, vents well. It was $250 msrp. The escape. But of course like all things they made it great and then stopped making it.

I got a 2011 ll bean GTX on sale this summer. Still too new to rate, but lightweight, good fit, rip stop nylon, no fabric liner-brushed nylon with taPed seams showing. Great model.

My old TNF kichatna is similar but the 1st gen GTX xcr. Very stiff, bad breathability, expensive and oh yeah...on the third one after tape failures, premature delam, and other probs.

Keep an open mind. Go to rei, ems, ll bean, etc. Try them on. Compare features. Pull on fabric. Find good fit, features, comfort, and price.

Btw Patagonia redid their entire line. Now with GTX but pricy. I'd wait or go to their website (web deals) and snag last year's model, which was probably awesome and perfected before this redo.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I've determined that powder skirts are completely useless. I ski in a ton of powder every season. Far more likely to get snow down the back of my jacket from taking a header.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Btw going to sound crazy but take a drive to cabela's after the other stores and look at their options. Unreal prices, GTX, tough shells, great features. May not be what you want, but seriously look at them. Their customers really have demanding weather and conditions.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I actually appreciate a Powder skirt. Does seem to keep the snow out of the waist area when I go down.

REI carries Arc'teryx if you have one near you Nick. I tried on a couple of the models. I think one was the Beta and one was the Stingray. Only real difference other than price was the more expensive one had an internal chest pocket where as the other just had hand warmer pockets.

They didn't have it at REI, but I like the looks and features of the Marmot Freeride jacket. I just don't like the price. :)

http://marmot.com/products/freerider_jacket?p=216,222,129&ft=222-129

o3jeff

I ended up with another Marker jacket(actually a shell this time) since they fit me pretty good. And I figured if a Marker jacket was good enough for Billski, it's good enough for me!

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Io have had good experience with Marmot shells. The one I am currently in, is a 3 ply goretex and is at least 3 years old now and it still looks and works great. Plus, you can find them cheaper than other comparable brands....either on sale at sierra trading post or other discounters. I don't think I have ever spent more than 199 on a shell.

Last edited:

o3jeff

tempted to pull the trigger on this shell

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ma...-tex-shell-jacket-waterproof-for-men~p~3505c/

I got another discount code via email that would get it down to $199 shipped.

I'm on my second Marker jacket, first one is insulated and about 4 years old and sttill in great shape and just picked up a Helios shell this year.

Not sure how the sizing is on that model, but the insulated one I have is a large and the shell I just got is a medium and the both fit very similar. probably would recommended the medium for you.

Or do I need to meet you in Boston so you can try them on!:-D