• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Worth Mountain, VT, 10/07

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Worth Mountain, VT

Date Hiked: 10/07

Trails(s) Hiked: Long Trail

Total Distance: Probably around 6 miles? Seemed to take forever

Difficulty: Moderate

Conditions: Sunny, very muddy after Middlebury Snow Bowl summit

Special Required Equipment: None

The first part of this hike was pretty nice - good colours, decently maintained trails, good views. Beyond the ski area summit, however, the hike became a waste of time. While there was one lookout a few minutes beyond the ski area summit, the actual Worth Mountain summit wasn't worth the hike to me. The trails became very muddy and the views were non-existant. The 'East Lookout' was probably nice about 15 years ago, but now its nothing.

worthmtnsummit-2006-1007b.jpg

Looking East from Middlebury Snow Bowl summit

thetrailboss

Staff member
Thanks for the report, Threecy. Yes, I did look at topos of the area when I was at Midd and led trips. We never went below the summit of the lifts because there were no views. Did you go to Silent Cliffs? Did you scope out the Lake or the ski area work? Skylight Pond, however, is worth the trek.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
I didn't make it to the lake or cliffs because my jaunt to the Worth Mtn. summit took longer than expected...maybe next time. I stopped by the base of the ski area after - looks like they're done or nearly done with the trailwork they were doing, at least from the view from the base area.