• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Helmet Cams

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
The Helmet cam contest got me thinking, about how good the mounts are. I'm a bit concerned that a side mount might block the range of view. I'm also interested in what method of fastening has been found to be the most reliable. I'm inclined to put it on the top of the helmet.

I'm also thinking that I want a waterproof helmet for skiing - is that necessary?

It probably needs a quick release. I'm not leaving it on the lodge table.

Battery life in a self-contained unit must be depleted quickly in the cold. I suspect the 8 hour expectation is way to generous.

thoughts?

jimmywilson69

man you are all negative nancy as of late, must be the warm weather;-)

My buddy has a go-pro HD camera and he only charged it once the week were in Colorado.

I think 8 hours is easily done with these things.

vlamanna

Small HD Video cameras

I too am interested in getting a small video camera that won't break the bank. I came across the Actioncam by PED products and was wondering if anyone has one of these or has any experience with one. Video looks pretty good and it is very small.

Any input would be appreciated.

btw, from what I understand 4GB of memory will get you a little over an hour of HD video.

Thanks

Black Phantom

There has to be scores of them on the ground. I never saw so many LP with cameras/HC's. Are they really going to watch the ground in front of them for a couple of hours? WTF

Last edited:

powbmps

The Helmet cam contest got me thinking, about how good the mounts are. I'm a bit concerned that a side mount might block the range of view. I'm also interested in what method of fastening has been found to be the most reliable. I'm inclined to put it on the top of the helmet.

I'm also thinking that I want a waterproof helmet for skiing - is that necessary?

It probably needs a quick release. I'm not leaving it on the lodge table.

Battery life in a self-contained unit must be depleted quickly in the cold. I suspect the 8 hour expectation is way to generous.

thoughts?

The GoPro looks goofy, but takes care of your list of concerns. I had the mount stuck on my helmet for all of last season without losing it once. Just need to apply it on a room temperature helmet. It's waterproof, has a quick release, and the battery typically lasts the whole day.

bvibert

Staff member
The GoPro looks goofy, but takes care of your list of concerns. I had the mount stuck on my helmet for all of last season without losing it once. Just need to apply it on a room temperature helmet. It's waterproof, has a quick release, and the battery typically lasts the whole day.

Yeah, what he said. I had mine side mounted, mostly because I was worried about knocking it off on lifts and what not if I put it on top. The side mount worked well, but it weighed down one side of my helmet a bit, which I found annoying after a while.

I ended up switching to the chest mount, which works really well. The only down side I've seen is that I get more of my hands in the frame.

vlamanna

Helmet cams

That's why I found this ActionCam (www.ped-products.com) kind of interesting, it appears it's about 1/4 the size of the gopro. I think I might give it a try for the $$...

gmcunni

i have this
oregon-scientific-camera-625.jpg

it sucks