• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Diy boot/glove dryer

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
low tech

I have found the low-tech solution works best. As soon as you get inside, pull the boot liners out, Helmet, socks neck warmer,etc. out on the floor. Vent the bag. Put the dog outdoors. Indoor winter heating is always the driest. A little deodorizer never hurts. 10 hours, even in a hotel room always does the trick for me. My helmet is usually the most damp.

Now scale that to a family of five and I'm good to go. As long as your SO can stand the odor! :razz:

SKIQUATTRO

project is done (will try to load pics) all for the whopping cost of $14.00.

-Nutone ceiling exhaust fan ($14.00 home depot)
-I found some 3/4" scrap plywood at Home Depot (where you can cut wood to size), they let me take it.
-3/4" pvc pipe which i had laying around from an old project
-power cord to splice and attach to ceiling exhaust fan -- i had laying around
-caulk to fill in gaps in wood to make box air tight

mlctvt

Excellent job skiquattro!
It looks alot like my Chinook boot dryer but at an awesome price. Hook up a cheap timer and you're good to go. The Chinook has a built in 12-hour timer and that works great for boots and gloves.
The only improvement I can see is maybe adding some flexible tubing that will extend down into the toe of the boot.

jimmywilson69

project is done (will try to load pics) all for the whopping cost of $14.00.

-Nutone ceiling exhaust fan ($14.00 home depot)
-I found some 3/4" scrap plywood at Home Depot (where you can cut wood to size), they let me take it.
-3/4" pvc pipe which i had laying around from an old project
-power cord to splice and attach to ceiling exhaust fan -- i had laying around
-caulk to fill in gaps in wood to make box air tight

That's awesome!

mishka

Be careful with the heated dryers and custom foot beds. Too much heat for two long and you can distort them. I'm looking to go with a regular, non heated dryer this year.

custom foot beds require lots more heat. Those small boat heaters or hairdryer not producing enough heat to soften polyplast (skin color plastic in Instaprint's beds for example)

mishka

M, you ARE going to take out the footbeds before drying..aren't ya'!

NO

I have coston footbeds in every day boots and use"dryguy" boot dryer sometimes overnight without any problems. In my ski boots probably a couple hours should be enough.

Footbeds you buy in REI diy footbed I don't know. Those I think need less heat to softening up