• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Diy boot/glove dryer

SKIQUATTRO

just did a seach for DIY boot/glove dryer and nothing...with all the savy, thrifty folks on here i'm surprised no one has posted...

i'm in the market now...thinking about building my own with some ac fans (bathroom ceiling exhaust fan, pvc, wood box.....)

feel free to discuss...

bigbog

PVC funnels fit/epoxied together with main horizontal (with your basic "Y" joint!) to one spanning the multiple liners....that main one fits onto a blow dryer with a not-too-hot setting...with the jimmie-rig that'll either ride on top(of liners) or fasten onto something at desired height.(ie table-leg/chair- leg). Family of four makes it a fun project...:cool: Think some slightly bent/rounded or epoxoed/soldered sectioned funnels instead of plain straight ones to preserve the airstream from dying on you?...y/n? ..or easier yet...find circular ones and cut to desired shape....and how about somekind(HA!) of sliding plugs, from just one or both ends, to eliminate a funnel should they not come along..
Maybe the half of a big circular pvc tube would allow more airstream to everywhere...for the outside couple of liners immediately, just add "Y"-joint and you have the outer two....fwiw.
Good luck.,...

Last edited:

mlctvt

I thought about making my own too but I ended up purchasing the Chinook B200 a few years ago. It works perfectly and I've been veryn happy with it. We use it after each ski day and also for hiking boots.You turn on the switch and it turns itself off after 12 hours, drys gloves or mittens at the same time.

http://chinookbootdryer.com/

They make a 4pair model B400 but it's kind of pricey. You could easily make one using computer fans (maybe use the more powerful Server fans). But you'd have to come up with a housing and some hoses.

My boot fitter told me to stay away from any heated dryer. Using unheated air works fine and won't damage your boots or custom insoles.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
how wet do your boots get?

These things look like nunchucks, btw

31qhfvRQykL.jpg

TheBEast

Interesting topic and surprised too that no one has written about this on the web.....I'll be interested to see what you come up with!

Glenn

Be careful with the heated dryers and custom foot beds. Too much heat for two long and you can distort them. I'm looking to go with a regular, non heated dryer this year.

How we do my boots get? My boots (last few years and new ones) are semi see through...you could see the moisture on the inside of the shell. Drying them daily was an absolute must.

mlctvt

Be careful with the heated dryers and custom foot beds. Too much heat for two long and you can distort them. I'm looking to go with a regular, non heated dryer this year.

How we do my boots get? My boots (last few years and new ones) are semi see through...you could see the moisture on the inside of the shell. Drying them daily was an absolute must.

Yes, I've heard that each boot can have a cup of water or more in them a the end of the day just from perspiration. My feet sweat like crazy so boot dryers are a must for me.

Dylan

Hair dryer and a can of beer. Dryer for the boots. Beer for you.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!

I am telling you, these things are great. I have used them for a few seasons. Just plug 'em in at the end of the ski day. The next morning, your boots are dry and nice and warm. They don't get excessively hot. Just enough heat to dry. At $20 or less a pop....well worth it IMHO. And, you don't have to take out the liner, which again, IMHO, causes more stress and damage to custom footbeds. (esp. cork ones). But, with an air circulation system, you don't have to remove the liner either.

Also, I have a cork custom footbed inside my boots, which are now about 8 or 9 years old and are still in very good condition even using these seirus toasters almost every time I ski.

bigbog

Ditto, especially for the foam = too much heat and it balloons....have to take it slow with moderate temperature heat.. and Yes, get the footbed out of there......

dartmouth01

Wow, I got to the end of the thread after stumbling upon it just now, and I actually may be able to add something helpful!

Bought this from the Harborfreight in Attleboro a few weeks ago. I've turned it on and tried it out, but haven't had any soggy cold boots yet to put on it. I managed to get it for $20 during a sale. Stuff always goes on sale again and again, so I'm sure the deal will come up again. Also, you can find the 20% coupon on the net if you have to have it at full price. NOt sure how effective it will be, but it does circulate air and warms it to about 98 degrees. I'm considering wiring this to an inverter and using it in the car when we're headed up to the mtn.

http://www.harborfreight.com/four-post-boot-and-glove-dryer-67326.html

dartmouth01

Also, be forewarned, if you haven't discovered HB yet, be careful of becoming addicted to it!