• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Last Ride(s) of year, Mid Maine 11/20/11

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
The past two Sundays I rode on very secluded logging land and Roxanne Quimby land. The ride is located in the Barnard and Bowerbank near the geographic center of Maine. 15 miles or so as the bird flies from Dover Foxcroft. There isn't much technical Mt biking in mid and northern Maine so I was happy to be referred to these trails. I now have a 31 mile loop with great vistas of 100 mile wilderness peaks and Moosehead region peaks. Lots of moose, bear, and coyote tracks are on the loop.
The ride starts about 5 miles north of the village of Sebec on Dexter Mills Road (logging Road) A few miles into it you are on land owned by the great nemesis of the North Woods Roxanne Quimby. Her land is open to all non motorized travel and possibly snow mobiles but people hate her up since they can't take ATV through her land. About 6 miles in you pass a gate which is the end of motorized traffic and about 12 miles pass before leaving Quimby property so you are almost certain to have the place to yourself. In this 12 mile stretch rumor has it that a couple of the bridges are being torn out soon but most seem easily fordable in summer time water levels. About the 17 mile mark there is a ford that can be done careful without getting feet wet and the trail becomes an old ATV trail for the next mile or two. Once you leave the ATV tral you are on logging roads the rest of the way. At the end of the ATV trail take in the awesome view of Benson Pond and Borestone Mtn just a few miles away. About 23 miles in you are on a high ridge with the best views overlooking several ponds/lakes, and a view that takes in a swath from Big Squaw Mtn area in Greenville, Barren Chairback Range, White Cap Range and other peaks along Kathadin Iron Works Road area. The ride is rolling with a one steep climb and lots of short 100 foot climbs. The elevation ranges from 450 to 800 or so feet but it's continually rolling.
The thing about this ride, 1. It's in the middle of nowhere 2. you have to know someone who has been in the area. The Maine Delorme atlas is useless. There are so many old logging roads and trails on the map and many more that aren't on the map that one could be easily confused. Don't count on seeing anyone up here and there is minimal cell service at best.
There are several other options for routes but I found this loop to be the nicest longish loop that I"ve tried so far in the area.