• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Helmets... coming to the dark side

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Don't bother spending big bucks, you take a good fall, they all crack. I would go with a homemade solution:

04_all_grey.jpg

All kidding aside, I have the Giro Fuse and love it, have had a few already. Notice said few, it's come in handy, The G10s are nice as well. As others have said, don't lock yourself into a brand, not all heads are equal. Things I find most important, obviously comfort and fit, followed by easily adjustable vents.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I'm heading down to Suburban Sports today.... will try on a few while I'm there. Gonna be there around 1:30 - 2:00 =ish. Maybe a bit later, need to make some stops on the way.

o3jeff

I'm heading down to Suburban Sports today.... will try on a few while I'm there. Gonna be there around 1:30 - 2:00 =ish. Maybe a bit later, need to make some stops on the way.

Are they having an AZ party there, half off everything?

I do need to drop off a pair of skis for their yearly tune.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Poc helmet

Hey, what's the deal with the POC helmets. Are they as good as they claim to be? Rating seem high, but I don't know a single person who wears them aside from the WC racers?
I could use all the cranial protection I can get. They don't call me "head banger" for nothing!

wa-loaf

Hey, what's the deal with the POC helmets. Are they as good as they claim to be? Rating seem high, but I don't know a single person who wears them aside from the WC racers?
I could use all the cranial protection I can get. They don't call me "head banger" for nothing!

I've got one. It's been great. Could use more ventilation on warm days.

gmcunni

He was out of stock at the time, it was in the warehouse. Gonna have him ship it to me :)

nice.. sounds more like a scam to avoid sale tax ;-)

i hope you got white, all the cool kids wear white. really cool kids add orange pants to the mix.

C-Rex

I got this brain-bucket last year. Got a sick deal on Tramdock.com (back when it still existed) All of my helmets are Giro, bike and board, but that's because they fit my head nicely.

GiroOmenAudioHelmet.jpg

The bluetooth audio is super sweet. I can control volume, play/pause, track up/down, and make phone calls with voice commands without taking my gloves off. And the headphones allow me to hear stuff going on around me (unlike earbuds).

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I got this brain-bucket last year. Got a sick deal on Tramdock.com (back when it still existed) All of my helmets are Giro, bike and board, but that's because they fit my head nicely.

The bluetooth audio is super sweet. I can control volume, play/pause, track up/down, and make phone calls with voice commands without taking my gloves off. And the headphones allow me to hear stuff going on around me (unlike earbuds).

So do you not need to plug in your phone then with the bluetooth version? That's pretty awesome. What about talking, it doesn't come with a mic, does it?

C-Rex

So do you not need to plug in your phone then with the bluetooth version? That's pretty awesome. What about talking, it doesn't come with a mic, does it?

I forgot to post the pic. It's the Giro Omen Audio.

It's wireless but has an audio jack port and comes with a cable in case your mp3 device doesn't do bluetooth. It charges via a USB cable just like a normal bluetooth headset. And yes, it does have a microphone for calls and stuff. The mic is not the greatest but the rest of the setup is top notch. Batteries last forever too. I get around 3 days on a charge when listening to music at work. And no I don't wear my helmet at my desk.:p the speakers pop out of the helmet and snap into a headband like normal headphones.

MPW.jpg

The setup is expensive unless you find a deal. I got mine for around $120 last year on Tramdock.com (now Steepandcheap.com).

C-Rex

No, they have others that are compatible.

Oh, and the helmet is pretty sweet too. It adjusts with a dial like a mountain bike helmet. And it has 2 sets (front and rear) of close-able vents. With the exception of those super cold, "why-am-I-out-here" days it's always been plenty warm. And on those days, I just threw a micro-fleece balaclava on under it. Problem solved. On the warmer days, with the vents open it never got too hot.