• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Helmets... coming to the dark side

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
i believe Giro says annually

who's got a helmet quiver?

That's ridiculous. A helmet should last more or less indefinitely* unless you hit it on something. In which case it should be replaced immediately.

*Alpinezone.com makes no warranties or statements regarding the safety of your noggin if you do hit your head on something in your ancient helmet :lol:

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
That's ridiculous. A helmet should last more or less indefinitely* unless you hit it on something. In which case it should be replaced immediately.

*Alpinezone.com makes no warranties or statements regarding the safety of your noggin if you do hit your head on something in your ancient helmet :lol:

Actually, you are wrong. They are good for 4-5 years due to UV rays beating on the plastic (for the average amount of days).

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Ugh, my wife and I are going to have to cave in an get helmets in the next year or two when our son starts skiing. Not looking forward to it.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Actually, you are wrong. They are good for 4-5 years due to UV rays beating on the plastic (for the average amount of days).

I would be fascinated to see what sort of reduction in protection happens from a helmet simply being in the sun..... i honestly can't imagine it would be anything more than marginal but I could definitely be wrong.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
FWIW, i felt the exact same way, it wasn't as big a deal as i feared.

I actually found it was nice that my ears stayed warm. Even with a beanie the wind would et under it and chill me a bit. It really does feel nice and warm with the helmet on.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Before you buy online make sure the helmet fits you well, is comfortable and your goggles fit with the helmet. No goggle gap, no pressure on your nose and seals around your face. Most goggles nowadays are helmet compatible but does not guarantee a good fit.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
That's damn cheap, about half of normal I think. That said I found the G10 to be too bobbleheady for me. The seam is definitely a little more form fitting.