• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Helmets... coming to the dark side

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I've decided that It's time to stop being an stooge and pick up a helmet. After skiing for 30 years and having many ridiculous tumbles down the mountain, I'm guessing I'm lucky.

Any reco's on a helmet? Looking at the Gyro G10 / G9 series. I tried one on over at Suburban but I can't recall which one it was. It had a slight visor on it, which I think improved the looks. I like the G10 has the adjustable vents, the G9 you need to apparently take the helmet off to adjust airflow.

Thoughts? My first time giving the helmet a whirl.... outside of mountain biking :)

powbmps

To me a helmet is like a seatbelt. Once you get used to wearing one, you feel naked without it.

I went from a G9 to a G10. I've had no complaints with either, but prefer the G10.

Really like the Smith Varient Brim, but hasn't shown up on SAC yet :razz:.

Definitely not something I would buy without trying on.

Hawkshot99

I've decided that It's time to stop being an stooge and pick up a helmet. After skiing for 30 years and having many ridiculous tumbles down the mountain, I'm guessing I'm lucky.

Any reco's on a helmet? Looking at the Gyro G10 / G9 series. I tried one on over at Suburban but I can't recall which one it was. It had a slight visor on it, which I think improved the looks. I like the G10 has the adjustable vents, the G9 you need to apparently take the helmet off to adjust airflow.

Thoughts? My first time giving the helmet a whirl.... outside of mountain biking :)

The new redesigned Giro Nine.10 is the one with the slight visor(retail $100). It does not really allow you to close the venting like last years version that came with plugs in the vents that you could remove. Now they have flap things that you can never really close. Personally this doesnt mean much to me, as I usually have my vents open.

What I do like about the Nine.10 is the shell size. The G10 makes you look like you have a massive head.

From Giro I prefer the Seam as my favorite helmet, based on fit, looks, and shell size.

Make sure you try on several helmets, they all fit different head shapes differently, and dont limit yourself to just one brand.

roark

To me a helmet is like a seatbelt. Once you get used to wearing one, you feel naked without it.

I went from a G9 to a G10. I've had no complaints with either, but prefer the G10.

Really like the Smith Varient Brim, but hasn't shown up on SAC yet :razz:.

Definitely not something I would buy without trying on.

totally different shapes, at least for my noggin, the nine fits great while the variant fits like a hollowed out bowling ball. YMMV.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Only suggestions I can make is don't marry yourself to a particular brand or model. I tried a bunch of Smiths and Giro's because of positive reviews on this forum. None fit my head as well as the Marker I currently have.

This is the helmet I have:

http://www.snowshack.com/product_de...435+MAT+S&trk_src_ss=SNWGBASEWEBMACSS|SEO|GB|

Though it appears that Marker has gotten out of the helmet game? Neither their apparel or binding websites have information on helmets.

Also, make sure you bring your goggles when you go helmet shopping. Not all goggles fit well with certain helmets.

gmcunni

Any problems with the goggles staying on when you put them up on the Variant or Seam?

it depends.

i have cheap-ish goggles. i hook them on the brim of the seam and they stay nice but the process of hooking wears on the foam. if i don't hook them they just flop over to the back.

i see that newer/better goggles have a gummy substance on the inside of the band (my son has these) and those work great, just put up above the brim and they stick like glue.

gmcunni

my son wants one of these for christmas.

product-thumb.jpg

http://www.ruroc.com/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=8&navTab=shop

bvibert

Staff member
Only suggestions I can make is don't marry yourself to a particular brand or model. I tried a bunch of Smiths and Giro's because of positive reviews on this forum. None fit my head as well as the Marker I currently have.

Agreed, get one that fits well. You'll find that even different models from the same brand fit differently.

Also, make sure you bring your goggles when you go helmet shopping. Not all goggles fit well with certain helmets.

x3 on this one too.

jimmywilson69

I suggest vents that are adjustable on the fly. I have a Giro Fuse and it works really well. It is several years old.

BenedictGomez

Hah, 25 years here, and I'm in the same boat. I guess we're getting smarter with age?

Picked up a Bern Baker on closeout. I bet it's going to seem weird skiing with a helmet on this season, hopefully we adjust to it quickly.