• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Side Effect of Cycling Helmets

Charlie Schuessler

RoadBikeRider.com issues weekly Newsletter and published this report which I found interesting and based on my road riding expirence not surprised...

Are you safer in a helmet? There's little question when it comes to avoiding or reducing head injury in a crash. But a British study has found that drivers pass closer when overtaking a helmet-wearing cyclist.

The researcher, Ian Walker of the University of Bath, rode a bicycle with ultrasonic distance sensors and a video camera to measure and verify distances. He was overtaken by about 2,500 vehicles. His findings:

---Drivers will pass a bare-headed cyclist with an average of 8 cm (3.1 inches) more clearance, presumably because the rider is seen as being less experienced or less predictable.

---Cars gave an average of 1.3 meters (4.3 feet) of room to any cyclist. Trucks passed 19 cm (7.4 inches) closer. Busses passed 23 cm (9 inches) closer.

Walker also wore a woman's wig to see if there was a difference in how drivers passed female cyclists. He was given an average of 14 cm (5.5 inches) more room.

Walker was hit by two vehicles during the study, which is to be published in the Journal of Accident Analysis & Prevention. A brief can be found at http://drianwalker.com/overtaking

BeanoNYC

Wow, interesting. I don't think I take notice of whether or not a cyclist has a helmet when I'm overtaking them in a car.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
One of the silliest studies I've ever seen. I guarentee that if I was wearing his equipment, we would have entirely different results. Also, what are the chances that when he was wearing the helmet, he felt safer and as a result rode his bike closer to traffice?

cbcbd

I guess I'll put a wig on, shave my legs, and store a couple extra tubes strategically strapped to my chest.

And since shaving the legs isn't a stretch for many cyclists, the wig would be an easy progression for extra safety.

Johnny Tsunami

Head case

RoadBikeRider.com issues weekly Newsletter and published this report which I found interesting and based on my road riding expirence not surprised...

Are you safer in a helmet? There's little question when it comes to avoiding or reducing head injury in a crash. But a British study has found that drivers pass closer when overtaking a helmet-wearing cyclist.

The researcher, Ian Walker of the University of Bath, rode a bicycle with ultrasonic distance sensors and a video camera to measure and verify distances. He was overtaken by about 2,500 vehicles. His findings:

---Drivers will pass a bare-headed cyclist with an average of 8 cm (3.1 inches) more clearance, presumably because the rider is seen as being less experienced or less predictable.

---Cars gave an average of 1.3 meters (4.3 feet) of room to any cyclist. Trucks passed 19 cm (7.4 inches) closer. Busses passed 23 cm (9 inches) closer.

Walker also wore a woman's wig to see if there was a difference in how drivers passed female cyclists. He was given an average of 14 cm (5.5 inches) more room.

Walker was hit by two vehicles during the study, which is to be published in the Journal of Accident Analysis & Prevention. A brief can be found at http://drianwalker.com/overtaking

I owe my life to a Giro helmet. I went over the bars at 20 MPH after something got stuck in my front spokes. Apart from a strained back and a nasty case of road rash on my face, I was fine. By the way, Giro replaced the $125 helmet for about $20 - to cover the freight & handling fees. Not a bad deal. All I had to do was return the broken one...

jplynch019

Ditto. Crashed once (tire went into the soft shoulder of the road) and I smacked down real hard on my head. When I regained consciousness, my arm was bleeding bad and I noticed my helmet was split. Helmet probably saved me. Of course I chucked the broken one and immediately bought a new one. I wear them all the time.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Ditto. Crashed once (tire went into the soft shoulder of the road) and I smacked down real hard on my head. When I regained consciousness, my arm was bleeding bad and I noticed my helmet was split. Helmet probably saved me. Of course I chucked the broken one and immediately bought a new one. I wear them all the time.

Another lil thing to watch for. One time I was riding my bike and suddenly out of nowhere a little kid come out in front of me on a small bike with training wheels. I didn't have time to stop, hit his front tire, he fell over but nothing happened to him. Me, I flew over my handle bars and landed face first. Helmet kept my head from getting hurt, but my sunglasses shattered. After that, I learned a lesson, don't buy anymore cheap sunglasses. I'm lucky a piece didn't go into my eye.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Another lil thing to watch for. One time I was riding my bike and suddenly out of nowhere a little kid come out in front of me on a small bike with training wheels. I didn't have time to stop, hit his front tire, he fell over but nothing happened to him. Me, I flew over my handle bars and landed face first. Helmet kept my head from getting hurt, but my sunglasses shattered. After that, I learned a lesson, don't buy anymore cheap sunglasses. I'm lucky a piece didn't go into my eye.

It's good your face broke your fall. Before the crash, you know, there was only one direction to go. You know, it's not like you could have gotten any uglier.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
It's good your face broke your fall. Before the crash, you know, there was only one direction to go. You know, it's not like you could have gotten any uglier.

Forgive him father for he knows not what he says:

P3130058sm.jpg