• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Smart phones?

Do you have one or more smart phones?

• Yes

Votes: 40 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 31.0%

• Total voters

BackLoafRiver

for those with personally owned smartphones, does your office allow you to use it to get work email? and if so, do they force any restrictions on your/your phone?

We have an exchange server and the IT people were cool with me setting up my phone for work email. No restrictions, however, they WON'T allow the device to connect to the buildings wifi.

Riverskier

I bought my first ever cell phone last Summer- a Tracphone. At this rate, I will probably upgrade to a smart phone in about a decade.

bvibert

Staff member
We have an exchange server and the IT people were cool with me setting up my phone for work email. No restrictions, however, they WON'T allow the device to connect to the buildings wifi.

I doubt that I'm supposed to be able to, but I figured out how to connect to the WiFi at work pretty easily. I never do though, my cell signal is very good in the building, and I have unlimited data. I regularly stream Pandora, which I'm not supposed to do on the company network anyway.

hammer

Have you decided yet? I can let you know how to gets you $10 off a month on Sprints plans
Who are you asking? We just decided to get basic phones for this cycle...will most likely get smart phones next time but I do think we'll be shopping around for the best plans.

WWF-VT

I have a Samsung Focus Flash with Windows Phone. I really like the interface and it is light years ahead of my (now retired) Blackberry in terms of funtionality

wa-loaf

Not sure if this affects people grandfathered in with unlimited data plans or not.

http://www.newser.com/story/140901/have-an-att-unlimited-plan-not-anymore.html

Basically the Unlimited plan costs the same as the 3gig plan. If you go over the 3 gigs they throttle your speed pretty severely. So no, there really isn't an unlimited plan anymore. Not sure they handle the 3 gig plan, but I assume there is a cost if you go over. That's the only benefit I see for staying on unlimited. I should probably check my usage as I'm usually on wifi so It might make sense to me to step down to the 2 gig plan.

o3jeff

Basically the Unlimited plan costs the same as the 3gig plan. If you go over the 3 gigs they throttle your speed pretty severely. So no, there really isn't an unlimited plan anymore. Not sure they handle the 3 gig plan, but I assume there is a cost if you go over. That's the only benefit I see for staying on unlimited. I should probably check my usage as I'm usually on wifi so It might make sense to me to step down to the 2 gig plan.

Exactly what I was thinking!

3 Gigs is a lot to use in a month.

bvibert

Staff member
I expect a similar move from Verizon shortly... :-?

Getting a new phone next week. I need to decide if I'm going for another phone with a physical keyboard or not...

bvibert

Staff member
Which ones are you considering? I just upgraded mine last month.

I had my eye on the Droid 4, but they had been offering a $100 discount when I was look a few days ago, not anymore. I don't want to spend $200 on a phone. I'll probably just go to the store and see what they have in the $100 range, maybe the Droid Bionic? or just stick with what I have.

jrmagic

I expect a similar move from Verizon shortly... :-?

Getting a new phone next week. I need to decide if I'm going for another phone with a physical keyboard or not...

If you go touch screen be prepared for a lot of frustration. I've had a Droid Razer for the last 2 weeks and I'm still fat fingering everything:angry: Or course it probably doesn't help that I really do have fat fingers:dontknow:

bvibert

Staff member
If you go touch screen be prepared for a lot of frustration. I've had a Droid Razer for the last 2 weeks and I'm still fat fingering everything:angry: Or course it probably doesn't help that I really do have fat fingers:dontknow:

That's what I'm worried about. Though, I've been using the touchscreen keyboard on my current phone on occasion without much issue, and my current phone has a much smaller screen. I do really like having a physical keyboard though...