• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Smart phones?

Do you have one or more smart phones?

• Yes

Votes: 40 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 31.0%

• Total voters

hammer

Just wondering who has one...we are just replacing our phones and while it would be nice to have a smart phone I just can't justify the cost of a data plan yet.

Morwax

I bought an unlocked LG Android phone and put an ATT go phone sim card in it. I dont have to have a data plan this way although I can turn data on if I really need it @ like 5 cents a megabyte or something. But wifi is so prevalent I hardly ever turn data on.

speden

I still use a flip phone from the age of the dinosaurs. It's cheap and compact, but I'm thinking of getting the new Galaxy Nexus when it becomes available from Verizon. The new phones keep coming out so fast it seems like something better is just around the corner, but I'm tired of waiting.

I'll go with the cheapest data plan since I don't plan to use much data on the road, but it will still be expensive. I really like the idea of having internet access on the road for convenience and emergencies.

The smartphones are so bulky though I'm not sure how best to carry one. My flip phone fits nicely on my belt, but the smarphones are huge, so it seems like people carry them in a pocket. Not sure I like that since then the hip bone can't shield the internal organs from the phone radio waves.

I hoping the smartphone camera will be good enough that I'll never need to carry a separate camera anymore.

deadheadskier

Staff member
A smartphone is the type of thing that after a month of having one you wonder why it took years to get one.

I'm the opposite.

I had a Blackberry for work for four years. At first I thought it was very convenient for a number of things, then I just got annoyed by being so "connected." Granted, I used to receive 100+ emails a day around the clock for my job.

I need a phone for making phone calls and texting people, which I really do very little of both. I don't need nor want computer capabilities on a mobile device. I have zero desire to own a smart phone again.

Morwax

GPS, weather, radar, internet access, tons of music...yeah im done with the old clamshell joobie :beer:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I'm the opposite.

I had a Blackberry for work for four years. At first I thought it was very convenient for a number of things, then I just got annoyed by being so "connected." Granted, I used to receive 100+ emails a day around the clock for my job.

I need a phone for making phone calls and texting people, which I really do very little of both. I don't need nor want computer capabilities on a mobile device. I have zero desire to own a smart phone again.

I don't consider a blackberry a smartphone :flame:

Edd

I recently got my first smartphone. I held out longer than nearly all of my friends on getting one. I had an LG Lotus which was a unique and awesome texting phone so I was happy with that for 2.5 years plus I resent the monthly expense of a data plan. Now that I've switched it would be tough to go back.

ctenidae

I have a blackberry, which is smart enough for me. Unless my saying "Stupid $^&#*$%& phone" several times a day eliminates it form contention.

Greg

Staff member
Just got the Motorola Atrix 2. For a hundred bucks it's a pretty sick phone.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
I have a blackberry for work. Its the new ATT 9900. Pretty close to a smartphone now. Also have a Iphone on Verizon. Now thats a smartphone! My Wife has one of those Samsung Galaxy S Fascinates. Thats a IDIOT phone. It has been replaced 3 times since last XMAS for lockups and so one. Iphones just work. I can hear the bashing starting already...

tekweezle

The blackberry is a communication tool, it sends and receives emails very well and consumes little data and battery. For business use, it's still got its place.

iphone and android phones are Swiss army style media consumption devices. They can do alot but aren't necessarily specialized at anything except maybe consuming data. I use mine on the slopes with the gps and phresheez app along with watching a movie or streaming tv. They are versatile.

Btw if you want a prepaid plan with Verizon service at a good price, check out pagepluscelluar. Reuse any older Verizon phone including non 4g smartphones. They have an unlimited talk text and 500 mb data per month for 55$.

Sent from my Htc Incredible via tapatalk....

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think the biggest reason why I'm anti-smart phone is I don't want to end up a junky like so many smart phone users have become.

You see it all the time nowadays. People literally can't go five minutes without checking their phone for something. At restaurants you see it all the time. Two people sitting at a table, not even talking to each other. Just sitting there fidgeting with their phones.

Too each their own, but I don't think I spend more than 10 minutes in a day looking at or talking on my phone.

hammer

Btw if you want a prepaid plan with Verizon service at a good price, check out pagepluscelluar. Reuse any older Verizon phone including non 4g smartphones. They have an unlimited talk text and 500 mb data per month for 55$.
I'm on a family plan with 4 lines and 700 minutes/month and unlimited text...total cost with taxes is over $150/month. Tacking on a $30/month data plan just wasn't something I wanted to do...and I would have had to add on a data plan to each line that I upgraded to a smart phone.

I'm sure smart phones are nice to have but the plan costs are out of control...