• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Kinsmans 2006-10-14, Third Time's a charm

thetrailboss

Staff member
:blink: Huh? Skier75 and Uphillklimber are the same person??? Explanation??? You've confused me :wink:

At any rate, good report. The Kinsmens are SO MUCH quieter than their brothers across the valley. Decent views too. I approached from the W and only did a day trip. Wet ice is not fun to hike on.

pedxing

Great report!

Glad you got it done this time around.

As Trailboss says, Fanconia Ridge, especially the stretch from Falling Waters trail (just south of Haystack) to Lafayette gets a lot more traffic. It's a great ridge though.

Skier75

Yeah, Ped, can't wait to give it a try though. This may be it for me, though, as far as overnighters go. I'd be into a day trip, but.....it was a little too cold for me in the morning. Unless of course we had a heated cabin, then I'd be all over it. :) I was glad to have finially done the Kinsmans though.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Trailboss, you're a moderator!!! Can you do me a favor, and delete the entire thread under my wife's name, as well as this one post? (Not the trip report above!)

I screwed up. My wife was logged in and I just rambled out a trip report under her name. I couldn't delete the thread, But I'll bet you can!

Whoa....so two of you use the same avator? You are leaving my head :spin:

As for the other part, it's done. :wink:

Mike P.

You guys have been to The Zugspitze? When? I was there in the summer of 1998, overnight in a hut at roughly 4500 feet & then up to the top & down the other side. (Wish I had known what the German word for Glacier was when I was planning my descent route.

Most people hit both summits of South Kinsmen just in case.

Planning at the moment to do Liberty, Lincoln & Lafayette on 10/28

Skier75

You guys have been to The Zugspitze? When? I was there in the summer of 1998, overnight in a hut at roughly 4500 feet & then up to the top & down the other side. (Wish I had known what the German word for Glacier was when I was planning my descent route.

We visited my cousin and his family there a couple years ago, over New Years and they gave us a whirlwind tour. Boy are they active, and fun and just plain nice also. We were able to visit the Roman Baths in Trier, visit Pattons grave, Visit Nueschwanstien and Hohenschwengal (sp) some nice villages and see some sites, as well as ski the Zugspitze for 2 days. The first day skiing, they got 3 meters of snow while we were there. Itried real hard to ski that stuff, but that is like 10 feet of snow. Next morning, they had packed it all down with their groomers, what a day of skiing!!!!!

Skier75

When you were hiking over there, what sites did you see on those mountaintops? There appear to be many memorial and religious icons over there. Details, please, details. Perhaps a new thread? Here I am hijacking my own thread. I did pear over the peaks at them while I skiied there.

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
I remember seeing Zugspitze from the olympiaturm in Munich, could barely see it through the haze but it and all its Österreich border alpen friends were there, afterall its only like 100km away. Wasnt too interested in hiking back then so I didnt visit, but füssen (neuschwanstein) was neato.