• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Have you gone internet-only?

Edd

Can't convince the lady to dump cable with Comcast. We watch a lot of TV so it would hurt but we're already paying for Netflix and Amazon so I'd like to see how we'd fare. We don't watch sports. The worst part would be losing HBO.

Got the Roku 3 awhile back and loooove it. The Roku apps for remote control on iOS are tight. One of us always has an iPhone or iPad in our hand. Haven't touched the remote in months.

soposkier

Can't convince the lady to dump cable with Comcast. We watch a lot of TV so it would hurt but we're already paying for Netflix and Amazon so I'd like to see how we'd fare. We don't watch sports. The worst part would be losing HBO.

Got the Roku 3 awhile back and loooove it. The Roku apps for remote control on iOS are tight. One of us always has an iPhone or iPad in our hand. Haven't touched the remote in months.

Looks like comcast is offering internet + HBO as a package now. Ive been looking into dumping cable and thinking about getting that. Only thing holding me back is sports at this point.

Edd

Looks like comcast is offering internet + HBO as a package now. Ive been looking into dumping cable and thinking about getting that. Only thing holding me back is sports at this point.

I started a thread about that awhile back. Can't remember but there was some caveat that made that not such a great deal, surprise, surprise. I should check again.

Glenn

I had thought I had posted this...maybe in another thread.

We dumped cable awhile back. I use rabbit ears in the attic for the local news; in nice, uncompressed HD. We probably get a dozen or so channels over the air with just the rabbit ears. I'm sure we could grab a few more with a better antenna, but it's not a priority. We stream mostly through Prime. We just picked up a free month of Netflix. Looks like they have some decent TV on there.

Anyone have Hulu plus? How's that for TV?

bvibert

Staff member
I had thought I had posted this...maybe in another thread.

We dumped cable awhile back. I use rabbit ears in the attic for the local news; in nice, uncompressed HD. We probably get a dozen or so channels over the air with just the rabbit ears. I'm sure we could grab a few more with a better antenna, but it's not a priority. We stream mostly through Prime. We just picked up a free month of Netflix. Looks like they have some decent TV on there.

Anyone have Hulu plus? How's that for TV?

We have Hulu Plus, sometimes. I never use it because I don't really like the interface (which may have changed since I last used it), and I never found much I wanted to watch on there. My wife uses it to watch some shows, but she tends to watch a bunch, then cancel it for a while, renew, cancel, renew, etc..

Mullen

I'm internet only at the house too. Roku boxes on two tvs, MOHU leaf digital antenna on the living room tv (it pulls about 50 channels from central ct area...a lot are only in spanish tho lol), I get all the main local ones in great hd so can watch football on sundays. Subscribe to netflix streaming and hulu + and split the mlb streaming with my brother and get every mlb game all season long (I'm a huge baseball fan so this gets the most use in the spring and summer months). Haven't had a land phone line since about 2002. I see no need for the services of a cable company.

Also as an fyi if you have comcast service for internet you most likely have free basic cable on that line too (some areas they can't shut it off when you get the high speed internet, and for them to turn it off they have to manually send someone up the pole), just plug the line right into the back of the tv, no box and run a channel scan...you might be plesently surprised.

Mullen

Do you know anyone that has cable that would be willing to share their password with you? That's how I get espn and nfl network. I "borrow" a friends password and watch it on my ipad. I wish espn and nfl would come to the roku so I could just get that on there too.

soposkier

Do you know anyone that has cable that would be willing to share their password with you? That's how I get espn and nfl network. I "borrow" a friends password and watch it on my ipad. I wish espn and nfl would come to the roku so I could just get that on there too.

I "borrow" my brother's hbo subscription, use that thru the chromecast. Might have to bum the ESPN subscription as well if I cut cable. I thought ESPN did have an app on roku? I dont think I would really even miss ESPN though, would only really need NESN for Sox and Bruins.

Mullen

I "borrow" my brother's hbo subscription, use that thru the chromecast. Might have to bum the ESPN subscription as well if I cut cable. I thought ESPN did have an app on roku? I dont think I would really even miss ESPN though, would only really need NESN for Sox and Bruins.

awesome looks like espn is in there w the live stuff too. It used to just have a bunch of crappy clips of old shows.

o3jeff

We have Hulu Plus, sometimes. I never use it because I don't really like the interface (which may have changed since I last used it), and I never found much I wanted to watch on there. My wife uses it to watch some shows, but she tends to watch a bunch, then cancel it for a while, renew, cancel, renew, etc..

That's my biggest complaint about Amazon prime is their interface.

Geoff

That's my biggest complaint about Amazon prime is their interface.

Yep. It's awful in my Panasonic Blu Ray player.

There really needs to be a web interface so you can tell it to put up your preferred selections first. You can search by movie title but it's really clunky.

It's too bad because their video streaming for HD works a heck of a lot better than Netflix. For me, Amazon never glitches. Netflix will often interrupt the video stream several times and step down out of HD mode.

Geoff

Right now, I'm in the middle of the 2nd season of "Lost" on Netflix after seeing Evangeline Lilly in the 2nd Hobbit movie and going "Whoah! Who is that?" I don't watch television with advertising in it other than sports so I'd managed to miss this series. Unless it's an NFL playoff game, the only thing on my flat screen right now is endless "Lost" episodes.

Edd

Right now, I'm in the middle of the 2nd season of "Lost" on Netflix after seeing Evangeline Lilly in the 2nd Hobbit movie and going "Whoah! Who is that?" I don't watch television with advertising in it other than sports so I'd managed to miss this series. Unless it's an NFL playoff game, the only thing on my flat screen right now is endless "Lost" episodes.

I very much enjoyed Lost. She is hot, indeed.

o3jeff

Yep. It's awful in my Panasonic Blu Ray player.

There really needs to be a web interface so you can tell it to put up your preferred selections first. You can search by movie title but it's really clunky.

It's too bad because their video streaming for HD works a heck of a lot better than Netflix. For me, Amazon never glitches. Netflix will often interrupt the video stream several times and step down out of HD mode.

I never have any glitches with it either and I have a slow connection at my house. Been doing Prime thru Airplay on my phone or iPad to apple tv.

soposkier

What service providers do people use/recommend? I have RCN right now but have been unhappy recently with the consistency of the internet service. Other options are XFinity and Fios. Looks like Xfinity is the best price at the moment.

Euler

No, the Prime interface isn't as good as Netflix, but it's still better than Hulu.
I don't like any of the interfaces on the ROKU very much. I usually browse and pick movies and shows with my laptop, then watch via the ROKU.

frapcap

Missed this thread somehow.

We dumped Direct TV a couple of months ago and honestly, once you get past the first week and a half, you hardly even notice. To cover sports, I bought one of those outdoor HD antennas from antennas direct. It picked up about 50 channels and I used the tv settings to rename the channels and cut out the ones that aren't necessary- like the 4 home shopping network programs.

Anything else we catch between Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu Plus run through an xbox 360. However, I'm missing my favorite shows, Justified & Walking Dead and will have to buy them on a per episode basis from Amazon. Should come out to approx $60 total for the shows. Still cheaper than cable and I can totally justify the purchase without feeling bad at all.

We'll have to figure out a way for the lady to watch Game of Thrones though.

Honestly, we spend a lot more time reading, doing house projects, or car projects now. its probably for the best.