• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Front wheel drive in the snow

noski

more on tires

One thing many don't realize about tires is M&S (mud and snow) on the sidewall of a tire is not the be-all and end-all. You really want to see a mountain and snowflake symbol. I think All Season tires a joke when you are driving mountain roads- which of course, may only be me. Even interstate glazing is better dealt with using real snow tires.

Chris I

Rear wheel drive. I have not had a problem yet- throw some sand bags in the back with a good pair of snows. No problems with the s10 yet. Plus the parking lots are a much better time with rwd:snow:

Im sorry I lied... I do not put sand bags in the bed. I leave a shovel in it and if i need the weight I fill it with snow. I dont like driving with the extra weight when I don't need it, in a few years I'll be one of the people driving my pick-up with the tail gate down for better aerodynamics:roll:

Just gotta use the resources that are around you.. fight snow with snow

Hawkshot99

in a few years I'll be one of the people driving my pick-up with the tail gate down for better aerodynamics:roll:

I guess you dont watch Mythbusters at all. The tale gate down thing is fake. The truck was designed to have a bubble affect by having the gate up and gets better mileage up than down.

Chris I

I guess you dont watch Mythbusters at all. The tale gate down thing is fake. The truck was designed to have a bubble affect by having the gate up and gets better mileage up than down.

haha now that you say it I think I do remember hearing previews for that eppisode

Terry

I also saw that episode. It really surprised me but I guess it is true. I have allways kept my tailgate up anyways so the beer cans don't roll into the road! :beer:

ctenidae

I do not put sand bags in the bed. I leave a shovel in it and if i need the weight I fill it with snow.

I did that when I had an S10 (I hated it in the snow, BTW). It works pretty well, until Spring rolls around and the snow turns into a 200 ppound ice-bottomed sled crashing back and forth in teh bed. Of course, dumping it was fun- tailgate down, reverse, hit the brakes, and sling that thing halfway down the block...

kickstand

I had someone tell me about that at a gas station last week. I was a bit surprised to hear about it. When I don't have the cover on, I like driving with the tailgate down not necessarily for gas mileage, but I think it handles better. I find with the tailgate up the back end moves around a little bit. I don't get that when it is down.

NYDrew

Im sorry I lied... I do not put sand bags in the bed. I leave a shovel in it and if i need the weight I fill it with snow. I dont like driving with the extra weight when I don't need it, in a few years I'll be one of the people driving my pick-up with the tail gate down for better aerodynamics:roll:

carrying the sand has its advantages. Many times with the camaro I would bust that bag open and shovel the sand around the tires for traction when stuck.

Chris I

I also saw that episode. It really surprised me but I guess it is true. I have allways kept my tailgate up anyways so the beer cans don't roll into the road! :beer:

Have you ever been driving with the back window open and had beer cans fly into the cab and smack the windsheild? Not a fun surprise on a hungover drive home.

ctenidae

Have you ever been driving with the back window open and had beer cans fly into the cab and smack the windsheild? Not a fun surprise on a hungover drive home.

That certainly qualifies as not a good time. My dog used to lick me in the ear through the driver's side window. Fixed that by putting in a toolbox. Downside was he'd climb up on the roof when I was parked. Always an interesting sight.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I appreciate the feedback folks. I am 75% certain that I will be the owner of a 2007 Hyundai Sonata this upcoming week. For the price, its a far better value than the Camry or Accord and after driving them all, is right there with those two in terms of drive and interior quality. Plus, can't beat the 10 year, 100 K bumer to bumper warranty that is available.

Instead of asking for a cheaper deal when I visit the dealer on Monday, I'm hoping to negotiate them throwing in a set of snow tires instead. we shall see what happens

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Anybody have any experence with there AWD cars off road? How about on the beach...I would think the low profile tires would be a problem.

Low traction is low traction no matter what is reducing the traction, in terms of AWD vx 4WD (see my post in the other thread).

Certainly, in situation where tread depth (or lack of) makes or breaks the deal, like soft ground and mud, a tire with a bigger sidewall, and thus deeper tread is advantagous. By comparison, in snow tread pattern is important but the big thing is the compound they use in the tread rubber.

Though, the biggest difference between an AWD car and a 4WD SUV/truck is ground clearance, and as a corrollary to that, suspension travel. Differences in tread depth and the actual drive system doesn't mean much compared with ground clearance in that regard.

FRITOLAYGUY

I appreciate the feedback folks. I am 75% certain that I will be the owner of a 2007 Hyundai Sonata this upcoming week. For the price, its a far better value than the Camry or Accord and after driving them all, is right there with those two in terms of drive and interior quality. Plus, can't beat the 10 year, 100 K bumer to bumper warranty that is available.

Instead of asking for a cheaper deal when I visit the dealer on Monday, I'm hoping to negotiate them throwing in a set of snow tires instead. we shall see what happens

WHile i envy your decision to buy a new vehicle with a decent warranty, when is the last time you saw a accord or camry broken down on the side of the road? Id spend the same money you plan on spending on the Hyundai and opt for a certified a few yrs old camry or accord, just my opinion of course.

SKIQUATTRO

i have japanese (nissan armada) and german (audi)...both have been great, no issues....but for the long haul, you cant kill those japanese engines