• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Boots: Dalbello Krypton Cross I.D.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Hola amigos

Well, I finally got a new pair of boots.

I've been running around for the better part of 10 years (since 1999, I think) on these babies:

IMAG0051.jpg

Nordica Trend T-51

I bought them a long time ago in CT simply by walking into a ski shop, grabbing the box in my size, paying for them and walking out the door. I think I paid less than $200 for those boots. Maybe even less than $150.

They served me well for many years, but I never knew what I was missing. I always put my gear $$ into things like skis... never boots. And now I know I was making a huge mistake. My boots always had a lot of play in the foot that made, in particular, skiing in technically challenge areas (moguls, glades) difficult. I would often wear very thick ski socks to try to accomodate the loose fitting boot.

Finally had enough, headed over to Suburban Sports, and Peter (skidmarks) helped me out with a new pair of what I think are super awesome Dalbello Krypton Cross I.D.'s
IMAG0052.jpg

I liked the fact that these boots have the lower hinge point... Peter helped explain that for my all-mountain kind of skiing, it would be a better fit.

Then we went into bootfitting. Which, again, I had never done before. Got some A-lines and had the boots head-molded to my foot. I didn't realize I was such a huge pronator. I've been running for years and never even analyzed my foot type. But after all was said and done, I went home and tried on a Nordica T-51 on my left foot and the Dalbello boot on my right foot, and holy crap... what a difference!

The fit in the Dalbellos is 1000x better. There are no pressure points and I feel like the boot literally hugs my foot the entire way around, top, sides, bottom. Peter also mentioned these boots are good for those with narrower feet, which I also have.

Really excited to give these a spin this year. I think several others have these boots as well. I'm really interested in seeing how they perform because it literally is the first serious boot I have ever owned that is high quality.

thetrailboss

Staff member
They aren't green like the rest of the Mod team's boots (DHS and myself have the Kryptons).

Awesome boots though!

bvibert

Staff member
They aren't green like the rest of the Mod team's boots (DHS and myself have the Kryptons).

Awesome boots though!

The Pros are green (Greg also has them), he got the Cross, which is obviously not green. I have the same boot, several years older though. It took a little bit of work to fit my wider foot in there..

thetrailboss

Staff member
The Pros are green (Greg also has them), he got the Cross, which is obviously not green. I have the same boot, several years older though. It took a little bit of work to fit my wider foot in there..

Thanks Brian. I figured that it was more than just DHS and myself that had them. So it is you, Greg, me, and DHS that are on the Pros. Mine are great, but I am still tweaking them so that they don't cramp my feet :x

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I noticed my toes were a bit tight on the front. I am on 9.5, normally in shoes I"m a 10 or 10.5. That was the only part for me I wasn't quite sure of.

What's the difference on the pros? I read they have a different liner, or a different liner option?

thetrailboss

Staff member
I noticed my toes were a bit tight on the front. I am on 9.5, normally in shoes I"m a 10 or 10.5. That was the only part for me I wasn't quite sure of.

What's the difference on the pros? I read they have a different liner, or a different liner option?

The Pros are stiffer and can be pretty much stripped down or refitted to any stiffness/fit you want.

dartmouth01

Sweet, congrats!. The gf and I are also part of the new boot club! We both had 10+ year old boots. We went to Ski Stop in Westwood and I ended up with a pair of Atomic Volts, while she ended up with Atomic Medusa 90's. I'm not sure we're both ready for how loud the boots look, but we definitely are hoping the boots enhance our skiing this year!

bvibert

Staff member
Thanks Brian. I figured that it was more than just DHS and myself that had them. So it is you, Greg, me, and DHS that are on the Pros. Mine are great, but I am still tweaking them so that they don't cramp my feet :x

No, I have the Cross. I would have gotten the Pro (kinda like the green), but my boot fitter (Peter at Suburban) didn't recommend my big foot in the Pro liner.

Last edited:

bvibert

Staff member

Off the top of my head;
-The Pros have a denser liner, which is stiffer and works better with low volume feet
-The Pros come with a couple of different tongues to change the flex rating
-They also came with two different foot boards (the part that goes under the liner in the boot) in the past, but I'm not sure if they still do. One was rigid and the other was kind of rubbery to absorb impacts.

Unless they changed something the shells are exactly the same.

o3jeff

my BOSS have same, for park rats so they don't catch the buckle on rails or grabs PLUS it looks epicly radical.

Sounds like my buckles are fine the way they are for me!

Will we see you on the rails this year testing the buckle out?