• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hydration packs?

ajl50

I just bought the camelbak scorpion on steep and cheap for $23 and I'm very excited - but I have a few questions.
1. Anybody ever have freezing problems
2. Should I clean out the res. and tube after use
3. Should I purcahse extra mouth nozzles
4. Anybody wear their camel pack inside of the jacket.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I just bought the camelbak scorpion on steep and cheap for $23 and I'm very excited - but I have a few questions.

Yes
Only clean it every once in awhile myself
Never needed one
No

May it serve you well. Purchased my 3rd one the last time they had it, love these things.

Grassi21

I'm still pissed I held off ont hat one...

Greg

Staff member
I only use my Camelback once in a while, usually when it's warmer - 30*F+. Spring bumps make you thirsty! I've had success blowing the contents back into the reservoir to clear the tube. There will some ice in there, but not enough to restrict flow. I'd be interested to know how well the ones designed for cold weather work.

ajl50

The ice is my biggest concern because I really don't want to be skiing with a block of ice on my back. While I think i'll be fine most days, I'm convinced I'll ice up on some of those 6 degree lake placid mornings.

One downside is now i'll have to stop at boules more often for "relief"" and thus have to buy my girlfriend more hot chocolate.

bvibert

Staff member

1. No (see 4)
2. Once or twice a season is probably ok. I leave mine in the fridge which seems to work good.
3. Not needed
4. Yes. I have a smaller one meant for cold weather, there's not really any storage capacity so it fits under the jacket well. I haven't used it outside of the jacket in the winter so I can't speak for freezing problems there. Though it seems to be pretty well insulated. Mine isn't a camelbak brand though...

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
On point 1, I've had freezing problems with my "Winterized" Camelbak, however it's a funny design, only half the tube is insulated. With the new one we got last week, the insulation runs the full length of the tube, so we'll see how that works.

rogue rider

I wear mine outside my jacket. Between the mass of the water and the heat coming off of my back I have never worried about the water in the bladder freezing. Its the bite valve and the hose that you need to worry about. Even the winterized ones will freeze if it is cold enough or if you wait too long between drinks.

I know people that wear the smaller ones under their jackets and keep the hose inside too. They never have freezing problems although sometimes the bite valve drips a little and gets them wet but not enough to be a problem.

As far as cleaning, I only use clean water so at the end of the day I just dump out the remaining water and leave the bladder open to dry.

SKIQUATTRO

i have the snodawg...its great

-after taking a sip, blow air back into the tube forcing the water back into the bladder, that'll eliminate the tube freezing.
-i've never had the water in the bladder freeze
-i have the camelback plastic drying rack that i hang the bladder on to dry out
-you do not need to wash after every use..only when you think its getting funky (dont think i've ever cleaned mine!!!
-do not wear inside your jacket, if the bladder ever leaks or the tube disconnects from the bladder inside, you'll have a soaking wet backside, yes it will find a way in your pants and soak your skin/thermals etc.....

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I've used the same blow the water back into the bladder excercise.

i have the snodawg...its great

-after taking a sip, blow air back into the tube forcing the water back into the bladder, that'll eliminate the tube freezing.
-i've never had the water in the bladder freeze
-i have the camelback plastic drying rack that i hang the bladder on to dry out
-you do not need to wash after every use..only when you think its getting funky (dont think i've ever cleaned mine!!!
-do not wear inside your jacket, if the bladder ever leaks or the tube disconnects from the bladder inside, you'll have a soaking wet backside, yes it will find a way in your pants and soak your skin/thermals etc.....