• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Build your own backyard snowmaking machine

C-Rex

A friend of mine built his own snowgun back in highschool. He had a big wooden drop-in that led to a 4-5 foot kicker and a landing on a small slope in his back yard. Pretty impressive for a highschool kid.

bvibert

Staff member
AZ's very own Woodcore has a homemade snowmaking setup. I've never seen it in person, but the pictures of the production a few years ago was impressive.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
It does look pretty sweet :)
Home-Snowmaker-Snowgun-internal-mix.jpg

wa-loaf

I think the most expensive element in all of these is a powerful air compressor.

jimmywilson69

I think the most expensive element in all of these is a powerful air compressor.

you are correct. Most people have the pressure washers. The "gun" components are pretty much hardware store components.

If I had a hill and a free water source I'd be making snow. well not this year, but if it was cold enough.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
What's a minimum gun you need for this?

Would be so much fun to do, just have no real good reason to do it :lol:

BenedictGomez

So $160 plus air compressor, plus pressure washer if I'm reading that right?

And 20' X 20' in about 6 hours with 6" of snow on the low end, or an area about 30' X 30' in 6 hours with 6" on the high end

That's no joke!

jimmywilson69

The biggest after expense for me atleast would be the water. and electric too, but if I had a "free" water source, I could stomach the increased electrical cost.

Maybe my neighbor won't notice a hose hooked up to his facuet:daffy::spread::lol::eek:

wa-loaf

The biggest after expense for me atleast would be the water. and electric too, but if I had a "free" water source, I could stomach the increased electrical cost.

Maybe my neighbor won't notice a hose hooked up to his facuet:daffy::spread::lol::eek:

How much are your water bills? Mine's like $40 every quarter. I don't think snowmaking would put too much of a spike on that.

jimmywilson69

water and sewer are combined and I'm over $160 per quater. There is a noticable increase in the summer when I am watering the garden and flowers.

Sewer bill is the most expensive portion, but is based on water consumption. so unfortunately If I don't send water to the sewer plant I still get charged like I did. This is a result of the crazy chesapeak watershed people trying to fix the bay. Eventhough most of the pollution is a direct result of poor farming techniques and fertilizers. It's easier to force regulations on sewage plants I gues...

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I'm gonna build it.... just bought the parts from the link wa-loaf provided. Was $40 for the parts, just need a ball valve and a couple other things (and a stand).

Gonna borrow my friends air compressor, I have a pressure washer already that should work.

BenedictGomez

I'm gonna build it.... just bought the parts from the link wa-loaf provided. Was $40 for the parts, just need a ball valve and a couple other things (and a stand).

Gonna borrow my friends air compressor, I have a pressure washer already that should work.

Awesome, I want to see pics.

I could 100% see myself doing this if I had kids and wanted to "force" a White Christmas every year.