• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Interesting read on oil changes

frapcap

My cars get 5-6k oil changes, two of which are synthetic.
Trans Am sees maybe 3 changes a year because I don't drive it that often and one of them is done before winter storage, whether or not it needs it.
The Miata changes its own oil, aka burns it, so to prolong the amount of time it takes for the oil to break down between changes, I use synthetic. This car also gets driven the hardest/most.
The beater Corolla doesn't burn oil or leak, but it gets conventional oil and get changed every 4-5k. Just to be sure it keeps remaining a reliable old Corolla.

I know there are claims that the oil will last longer, I just like the peace of mind.

SKIQUATTRO

2008 Suburban

my mechanic has been suggesting every 3K....think that might be overkill

SKIQUATTRO

wifes car is the 'burban

i sold the audi back in June...got $1K more than i was asking...i do miss that car..now in a 4dr wrangler JK which i'm loving...will be back in an audi again..

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I put that article up in the jeep forum that I visit....they all freaked out over it....Started posting pictures of sludge build up in BMWs that get there oil changes done every 13k miles. Seems to me for every argument that its fine is an argument that its not...:dontknow:

mlctvt

Be carefull with turbo engines. My Subaru Legacy has a 3750 mile oil change interval not mater if you're using regular or synthetic oil. You go longer and there goes your warranty!

The only way to be sure of any extended oil change interval is do have your oil analysed by Blackstone or another lab. I wouldn't chance anything over 5K without analysis ,it's just not worth it. I do my own oil changes and the cost is about $15.00 -$18.00 with oem filter and good quality oil. I stock up on oil when on sale at Advanced Auto. I usually do 2 or 3 cars at the same time total time less than an hour.

I've seen many photos of engine internals on cars with only 20-25K that had just 2 oil changes from following the engine minders in the cars. The picture I saw were Hondas and the engines looked like they had 150K from the sludge buildup.

hammer

I put that article up in the jeep forum that I visit....they all freaked out over it....Started posting pictures of sludge build up in BMWs that get there oil changes done every 13k miles. Seems to me for every argument that its fine is an argument that its not...:dontknow:
Which Jeep forum?

Thought I read that the longer intervals for the BMWs were OK because of the oil capacity.

frapcap

I've seen many photos of engine internals on cars with only 20-25K that had just 2 oil changes from following the engine minders in the cars. The picture I saw were Hondas and the engines looked like they had 150K from the sludge buildup.

Sometimes I wonder if this is planned obsolescence from the auto maker to bring premature wear and tear to your engine so you'll be in the market for a new car sooner.

Case in point- how many used and abused early 90's Civics, Accords, Corollas, and Camrys do you see rolling around? TONS! Honda and Toyota made the "mistake" (if you can call it that) of designing and manufacturing ultra reliable long lasting vehicles so you wouldn't need another one. Sure, when you do you'll probably want another one from them, but in the interium, the dealer isn't making much money on maintenance or warranty work.

mlctvt

Sometimes I wonder if this is planned obsolescence from the auto maker to bring premature wear and tear to your engine so you'll be in the market for a new car sooner.

I doubt that.

A few years back a guy who works for my brother bought a new Honda Civic and NEVER changed the oil. It ran up to 108K before the engine seized. That in itself is amazing. My brother asked him why he didn't change the oil, he said he didn't think he had to since he was checking the oil level.
Wenever I buy a used car i think of this guy and I make sure I have all of the service records.

Geoff

I just had a discussion about this yesterday with a friend who designs engine control units for a living. He said that if you're running good full synthetic oil, you're just pissing your money away if you change it at less than 10,000 miles / 1 year. I'd been on a 5K / 6 month oil change routine.

He also said I should be running Motul brake fluid. Much better at high temperatures.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I just had a discussion about this yesterday with a friend who designs engine control units for a living. He said that if you're running good full synthetic oil, you're just pissing your money away if you change it at less than 10,000 miles / 1 year. I'd been on a 5K / 6 month oil change routine.

He also said I should be running Motul brake fluid. Much better at high temperatures.

Great advice, have to get it on Facebook for others to see.

drjeff

My engine oil life remaining sensor just dipped below 10% Made the appointment to bring my Acadia in on Thursday for some fresh full synthetic. Looking at my odometer its been just over 11,500 miles since my last oil change back in early September

Glenn

My engine oil life remaining sensor just dipped below 10% Made the appointment to bring my Acadia in on Thursday for some fresh full synthetic. Looking at my odometer its been just over 11,500 miles since my last oil change back in early September

Sounds like you need to take the Acadia out for a few more drives Jeff! Not much mileage since the last change. :lol:

drjeff

Sounds like you need to take the Acadia out for a few more drives Jeff! Not much mileage since the last change. :lol:

I know Glenn! That almost week that it sat in the parking lot at the airport while I was in Vegas in October really cut back my miles these last almost 4 months ;) :lol:

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Man...You put some miles on!

drjeff

Man...You put some miles on!

Living out in the relatively speaking "country" has its pluses and minuses. The minus being that for more than some basic shopping needs, it tends to be a 75 -100 mile round trip. Secondly, I really need to learn to say "no" when people ask me to serve on various boards/groups/associations as usually 2 to 3 nights a week I have a meeting, many of which will involve about a 150 mile round trip. Lastly, my family tends to travel A LOT, and not just the roughly 300 or so mile round trip that Mount Snow is for my family. The really scary thing is that my wife drives about the same amount of miles as do! :eek: