• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gear Review: Dakine Baker pack.

Bene288

I'll give you the you tube video explaining everything about this pack, along with my run down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lj9wm95Unk

I'll tell you, this thing paid for itself before I even put my boots on.

The ski carry feature of this pack was incredible. I had heard mixed reviews about the feature. I heard it was great for boards, but not skis. The cable tucks around your bindings, then straps tight to the top via a nylon belt and buckle. My new skis are 180's, and pretty heavy (compared to my race skis) and they felt almost weightless on my back. They did not swing around, and were very stable in the cable system. Awesome idea.

There is a lot of room. Two main pockets, one with several pockets for avalanche tools and probes. Since I don't come across too many snow slides in the Berkshires or Catskills, I used them for my lock, screwdrivers and other tools I usually leave in whatever locker I rent. I used the bigger pocket for extra layers and water bladder (w/ green tea for energy!). The fleece lined pocket is very deep so they don't protrude out of the front of the pack.

I have one HUGE pet peeve when it comes to back packs, clothes, hockey bags etc. etc.: ZIPPERS and HARDWARE. You can spend $500 on a Northface or Spider jacket and will still have the zippers strip. This pack is a different story. The smoothest zippers I've ever seen on a back pack, or anything to that matter. You can operate them without having to hold the pack with your other hand. Very smooth. The buckles on this pack are also impressive. Not your typical 3 prong plastic buckles. The female end of the buckle has tabs in which to disconnect the male end (rather than pushing the male tabs to disconnect). Hard to envision I'm sure, but it makes it easy, wait, scratch that.. It makes it possible to disconnect the buckle with thick ski gloves on.

The shoulder straps are very padded and very comfortable. The skis, tools, water bladder and extra layers felt almost weightless on my back on the walk from the parking lot. Lots of extra padding. Whoever designed this took their time and really considered a lot of factors related especially to skiing. The pack lays very flat on your back, so having it on while on the lift chair is no problem. Not that it was too cold when I got out on Friday, but they say the channel in the shoulder strap that holds the water bladder hose is insulated so it won't freeze.

This is more of a back country or ski touring kind of thing. But if you're like me and you like to have your tuning tools, cell phone, car keys etc, it's wonderful. I hate having to deal with lockers, and I hate loading up my jacket and pant pockets with my phone and keys. This definitely solved that problem. I highly recommend if your a pack rat like myself. It was very liberating not having to carry anything in my hands on my 1/2 mile hike from the parking lot.