• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you take your shoes off on the plane?

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
〽❄❅;678783 said:
Sometimes i do / socks on. No one ever complained or weird'ed out. Then again my feet are'nt gross looking and or stink bombs.
I have to wonder how your girl would've reacted if those shoeless feet belonged to Brad Pitt or Justin Timberlake?

I'll make sure to run this q by her :)

Chinalfr

There are no rules against having a bare foot onboard a flight (TSA actually want your shoes off during security checkpoint). BTW, the airline encouraged everyone to feel comfortable during all flight. So, I will do anything on a flight to make myself comfortable (except breaking any airline / federal rules). Just make sure don't take off the shoes and try to light it up with matches /sarcasm.

Sent from my iPhone 5.

tekweezle

Don't walk around barefoot. You might catch athletes foot fungus or a staph infection. They say that airplanes and cruise ships harbor lots of nasty bacteria.

I Wear comfortable slip on shoes easy to take on and off at airport security. For really long flights, nothing wrong with slippers or sandals.

Sent from my Htc Incredible via tapatalk....

ctenidae

I'm usually in a suit and dress shoes, and almost always take my shoes off if the flights more than an hour or two. I do always slip one half off first and wait a bit for a sniff check, then if alls ckear, off they come. I put them back on to go to the bathroom, though. Exceept on trans or intercontinental flights, when i use the slippers they give.

snowmonster

On an overnight flight I'll take them off. I think feet swell up a little at altitude and I find it easier to sleep with them off. In the old days the airlines used to give passengers in business class an extra pair of socks to put over your regular socks. Not sure if they still do that.
Yes, feet swell up in flight. Most travel magazines tell you to keep your shoes on because your expanded feet will be hard to get back in your shoes when you land. As a veteran shoe-remover, hard leather slip-on loafers are the hardest to put back on.

First and business class travelers still get a small toiletry kit on long flights complete with socks for padding around the cabin. Of course, in the old days, the socks they gave you had a thin foam pad on the soles. Now, it's more like a tube sock.

frapcap

I untie my laces. Best of both worlds. Good in case of water landing, too.

untied.shoelaces.jpg

You mean a crash into the water in the middle of the ocean, right? I'm not sure why they call it a landing. :lol:

Bit I digress, shoes always come off if the flight is 3+ hours. Or if dress shoes are on. Most folks I sit next to kind of give you a look, but then take off their own shoes after deciding that they could be more comfortable.

skiNEwhere

If it's a 2 hours or less flight, prob not. If it's over, sorry, they are coming off. Especially on those 19 hour flights that I seem to be on more routinely now

darent

I wear slip on shoes for security check points, they slip off easy. stuff dryer sheets in your shoes, solves smelly feet issue

bvibert

Staff member
When I was on long flights to and from Thailand recently not only did I take my shoes off, but my socks for part of the flights as well. That was mostly when I was trying to sleep.

drjeff

Just think of it this way.

Where do a majority of folks go just before they board a flight? The bathroom

How clean are most airport bathroom floors? :eek:

I keep my COMFY shoes ON during all flights! ;)