• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Alpine to AT boots and bindings

kingslug

Decided that I only want to use my AT boots for both of my skis. Last season I put Fritchi pros on my Rossi S3's and bought Garmont Endorphin boots. I use these out west and here but only when conditions are good as they are not good on ice. Today I had Marker f12's mounted on my Sultan 85's and spent the day at Hunter on frozen conditions. Pretty huge difference! I lost about 2.5 lbs per foot which is nice in many ways, especially by the end of the day. I lost some stiffness as the boots are not any way like my Nordicas but are more comfortable and walking around in them is way better..no more Frankenstein shuffle. The skis used to be very damp but are a lot more lively now, just can't slam the edges like I used to on the slick stuff. I compare it like going from a caddy to a corvette. I have to get used to it but liike it better as the weight reduction is pretty large. Skating uphill is a lot easier as well. So for anyone considering this I would say it's a win.

〽❄❅

Worked on it last year but found the boot i tried was much to roomy around my instep and ankle and the lugged/rocker AT specific sole limited binding options.
The upcoming '12/'13 Scrapa Maestrale "RS" stiffer then the current Model with a minimal weight gain looks interesting. Based on swag (some wild ass guess), from what i've read of the current Maestrale, i'm thinking it may fit my wide toe, narrow heel / low instep foot. Still, it doesn't have swappable AT/Alpine DIN sole and i don't like the Marker Duke and it's variants or Fritschi although the Salomon guardian 16 and rumored Tyrolia AT binding may turn out to be a acceptable option. Additionally, i'm not thrilled about using a rail type binding on a ski that will see mostly front side use and began to look into the Marker Jester and its variants. However not only am i doubtful of a AT rocker lugged sole working with a Marker Jester's adjustable toe/sliding AFD, i'm just as doubtful of the binding itself and otherwise wouldn't consider it for my regular Alpine boot/ski setup because it lacks a upward tilt releasing toe piece. Something i don't see being available from the Salomon/Atomic and for now the Tyrolia is vaporware.

snowmonster

Bought a BD Factor 4 years ago and have spent more time on those boots than in my Lange WC 120. Most of my skis either have a Duke or Baron and I've set them up to accept the AT soles. I could adjust them to take the alpine boot but why bother when the Factors perform just as well on the down. Besides, the Factors give me the option to skin or hike out of bounds or go back/sidecountry. It's a pain to hike in the alpine boot, not to mention walk up and down stairs. I only use the alpine boots when I bring out my frontside carver which means most of the days this season with all this man-made hardpack. I recently added a Rossi RC112 to my quiver and those skis are very very stiff. They need a lot of speed to turn. The Factors have developed some play in the right boot and I may have to swap out the ski-walk switch (replacement part sent by BD). However, I may adjust the binding to accept the alpine boot. I think I need the extra stiffness to drive that ski properly.

kingslug

Going to give it another go today..have no choice now that they are mounted..just have to get used to sliding rather than carving when things get real hard..or I might figure out a better way to control them..time will tell..

jimmywilson69

Bought a BD Factor 4 years ago and have spent more time on those boots than in my Lange WC 120. Most of my skis either have a Duke or Baron and I've set them up to accept the AT soles. I could adjust them to take the alpine boot but why bother when the Factors perform just as well on the down. Besides, the Factors give me the option to skin or hike out of bounds or go back/sidecountry. It's a pain to hike in the alpine boot, not to mention walk up and down stairs. I only use the alpine boots when I bring out my frontside carver which means most of the days this season with all this man-made hardpack. I recently added a Rossi RC112 to my quiver and those skis are very very stiff. They need a lot of speed to turn. The Factors have developed some play in the right boot and I may have to swap out the ski-walk switch (replacement part sent by BD). However, I may adjust the binding to accept the alpine boot. I think I need the extra stiffness to drive that ski properly.

I am considering a BD factor as my next boot. This is good intel! So if I make this my everyday boot, I will have to have all of my bindings adjusted?

Last edited:

snowmonster

^ The BD Factor comes standard with alpine bootsoles. In this case, assuming that the boot sole length (BSL) of your regular alpine boot and the Factor is the same, you probably don't need to do remount the binding although you'll have to adjust for forward pressure. If you swap out the alpine bootsoles on the Factor for AT soles (which you should do), then they won't readily fit into regular alpine bindings because the soles will be thicker than regular alpine soles. Depending on your binding, you may either have to fiddle with it a bit or get new ones.

The BSL on my Factors and Langes are 308 and 307, respectively. A little tweak of the bindings to adjust the sole height and forward pressure is all I need to go from one boot to the other.

jimmywilson69

As far as the boot fitting the bindings, is that something the shop that I buy the boots from should know up front? I mounted Marker barons on my Watea 114s, so I feel pretty confident they will "adjust" to fit an AT boot, but what about an AT boot fitting a standard "Alpine" binding?

〽❄❅

It's my understanding that with a AT boot lacking swappable AT/Alpine DIN soles, if you find a Alpine DIN binding with toe height and sliding AFD / correct ramp angle (a challenge in itself), release safety will still be compromised due to the grip of a lugged AT sole.
Some knowingly take the risk, i'd doubt a ski shop would approve.
The Marker Jester/Griffon/Squire are the only ones i know of with a height adjustable gliding AFD however they specify "Alpine" and i'm pretty sure the ramp angle wouldn't be compatible with probably most all AT soles.

kingslug

Considering the improvements in At boots I don't see why anyone would want to use Alpine boots anymore..but thats just me...