Jay and Stowe?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jay and Stowe?

Jay and Stowe?

Stowe is reporting 70+ trails open and Jay announced the opening of a few glades!

Could winter be actually showing up in the North?

Anyone been up there to confirm that things are looking better?

Is there snow down to Rt. 242?

Funny? I was just thinking of hitting either Stowe or Jay this weekend since I'm blacked out at my home mountain. Any beta would be appreciated.
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - H. D. Thoreau

Jay Sunday Jan. 8

Skied Buckaroo Bonzai which was opened and I'd say it needs at least another 6 inches to make it worth the woods trip. Still a lot stuff sticking through the base. Timbuktu was suprisingly well covered and has much more powder in it, but the crusty layer below it made for a few teeth chattering turns. didn't bother spending much time in there.

couple of natural snow trails are taking shape and skied Ok (Kitz, Derricks), but again will be much better once they get a real dumping.

Quote Originally Posted by Huck_It_Baby View Post
    Stowe is reporting 70+ trails open and Jay announced the opening of a few glades!

Could winter be actually showing up in the North?

Anyone been up there to confirm that things are looking better?

Is there snow down to Rt. 242?
    Stowe, 1/6/11
    It's more like 40 trails. They are pumping out snowmaking 7x24, pretty impressive. That's where most if it came from. Only a couple

Some blacks are open. Most blue trails skied well, with good ability to ski around.
    Stowe and Smuggs (1/7) both reported one glad open. They are quite sketchy, bottom-reaching. Not ready for prime time. The 1-2" of daily blower pow just gets torn up quickly. An hour of rain on Saturday afternoon will make for interesting boarding. Stowe chops it up quite well, but a lot of traffic will make it, well, get out early on the weekend.

Naturals are fun, if you don't mind some grass and these little hard things popping up here and there. At smuggs, it was a surprise to find exposed water bars on the blue trails. Sometimes I won, sometimes I lost. Set your expectations, maybe bring some rock skis if you wan to go on the naturals and you can enjoy yourself.

The mountain tops are a winter wonderland of caked on snow to trees. A careful examination finds a lot of icicles on all the tree puffs.

Can't speak for Jay, anectodal first-hand info says it's "pretty good". I did not receive any further details.
    Sent from my TACPOD (Tactical Airborne Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Pod) using Satellite TADIL J Alternate Gateway Controller (Alternate STGC) via Blackjack

Stowe surpassed our expectations on Friday and Saturday, despite having only 40% or so of the trails open. They seemed to enjoy about an inch or two of the natural stuff overnight for much of last week, so we got to enjoy some fresh, untouched snow on our way down.

I did catch ice on some of the blues on Mt. Mansfield - I swore off Perry Merill after a sketchy run - but, overall, it was worth the trip. It did rain there on Saturday, however, so I'm not sure how that changed skiing conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by billski View Post

The mountain tops are a winter wonderland of caked on snow to trees. A careful examination finds a lot of icicles on all the tree puffs.
    This is the kind of detail I like =)

Quote Originally Posted by luvinjaycloud View Post
    Skied Buckaroo Bonzai which was opened and I'd say it needs at least another 6 inches to make it worth the woods trip. Still a lot stuff sticking through the base. Timbuktu was suprisingly well covered and has much more powder in it, but the crusty layer below it made for a few teeth chattering turns. didn't bother spending much time in there.

couple of natural snow trails are taking shape and skied Ok (Kitz, Derricks), but again will be much better once they get a real dumping.
    This helps a ton Luvin, thank you!

Do you live in the area?

Is there snow down to the dip parking lot on 242?

Thank you for the conditions reports. It looks like I may be spending more time at Stowe this year than at Sunday River.
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - H. D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by 40Berg View Post
    I did catch ice on some of the blues on Mt. Mansfield - I swore off Perry Merill after a sketchy run - but, overall, it was worth the trip. It did rain there on Saturday, however, so I'm not sure how that changed skiing conditions.
    If Perry Merrill is "sketchy", that should tell folks all they need to know. Though that was 3 days ago, and every day with 24/7 snowmaking temps must be doing wonders.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by 40Berg View Post
    Stowe surpassed our expectations on Friday and Saturday, despite having only 40% or so of the trails open. They seemed to enjoy about an inch or two of the natural stuff overnight for much of last week, so we got to enjoy some fresh, untouched snow on our way down.

I was up at Stowe on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was a soft snow day, with warm temps, some rain, some new snow, etc. Sunday was cold, so it was pretty "firm" everywhere. Snowguns were blasting on Centerline, so the bumps there were soft. Hayride should be opening with snow whales sometime soon.

I didn't ski Liftline or National on Sunday, but from the lift, they sounded and looked awfully solid.

The stuff on the Gondi side was actually skiing pretty well on Sunday.

As was said above, there's a bunch of natural-snow only trails open -- i.e., Chin Clip, Cliff Trail, Gulch, Lord Loop, Switchback, Smugglers (or whatever it's called off the top of Spruce), etc. They're skiing ok, but your edges will get dinged up a bit. I didn't hit anything really hard though.
    Arc \'em or park \'em

Thread Information