• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/12 Storm Discussion Thread

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Bill, honestly I think tomorrow may be your best ski day. Snow in the morning before changing to mix/freezing rain late in the day. Burke does not get the wind that other places get.
Friday could be crusty depending on how much freezing rain we get. Then Saturday is in the freezer.

WinnChill

I'm really hoping this doesn't turn into a half snow/half freezing rain event.

Sort of, but the saving grace is that there will be a lull in precip when snow levels elevate (tonight/Friday AM) so icy mix, mainly showers, should be fairly light before temps cool back down on Friday. That second batch should switch back over to snow showers fairly quickly for your area. Finger crossed!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Bill, honestly I think tomorrow may be your best ski day. Snow in the morning before changing to mix/freezing rain late in the day. Burke does not get the wind that other places get.
Friday could be crusty depending on how much freezing rain we get. Then Saturday is in the freezer.

dusting with Light snow,calm at 445 am
ski in AM only in between calls. we'll see.
cars are flying down local roads.
forecasting seems to be deteriorating

I'm praying that 3200 elevation will make a diff

WinnChill

Yep, AM seems to be best...light winds/snow now but winds pick up later today. Elevation will certainly make a difference. Screamin summit winds for many areas...low level winds (between 3000-5000) will be quite strong. Burke's summit will be howlin but northwest facing slope should help protect.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
eh, those are not gusts. 50_60 mph sustained. Are you nuts?? I sure don't want the snot blown out of me. Anyways, I'm workbound for most of Thursday. I plan to eat icicles for dinner. :popcorn:

we'll see in the am.
I trust NOAA less and less every year. Less than 24 hours later, that link you posted now shows 32 mph sustained max during skiing hours, only 16 mph first thing in the morning. Burke is very protected from the winds. You'd be a fool not to be up there skiing today.

ScottySkis

I think you should ski your up their and its snowing if winds get nasty coffee break

UVSHTSTRM

Dry slot setting in here in the Upper Valley (Claremont), got about two inches of snow, the wind was strong, the temp dropped and the snow shut off. I am guessing upslope should help for the hills, but looks like a coating of white and that will be about it here in the lowlands. On the other hand, looks like Maine and the central spine of the Greens and Whites should do well.

BenedictGomez

i am grateful for the snow but how pathetic are we that 3 inches makes us all so giddy?

It's like watching a starving person gobble down a few crackers.

But predictions are still all over the map on this 1, 2 punch storm, so my psychological mantra is to trick myself into believing the 4 to 6 inch ones, so I can be positively surprised if 12 inches of snow drops.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I trust NOAA less and less every year. Less than 24 hours later, that link you posted now shows 32 mph sustained max during skiing hours, only 16 mph first thing in the morning. Burke is very protected from the winds. You'd be a fool not to be up there skiing today.
I would love to get out today, but it probably won't happen,. There is too much real work going on today. Bummer. It just started snowing again,.

psyflyer

Snowing heavy now on Burke. Another inch since about an hour ago, starting to blow also but not outrageous. Heading out shortly and see exactly what we dealing with...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
It's like watching a starving person gobble down a few crackers.

But predictions are still all over the map on this 1, 2 punch storm, so my psychological mantra is to trick myself into believing the 4 to 6 inch ones, so I can be positively surprised if 12 inches of snow drops.

I understand that Ullr and Voodoo Lady had a tryst last night.:blink:

That and my magical gnome here in snow country should bring something "interesting" :beer: