• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Experience with Canon Service

thetrailboss

Staff member
So I know that many folks in here have Canon cameras and are huge fans, including me, and a few weeks ago in one of the threads I commented about how my PowerShot A570IS had a problem and had to go in for service. Well, regrettably, my endorsement for Canon is on hold.

I mailed it in for service because the date/time settings would not stay set, so everytime you powered it up you had to reset the date and time.

I told them in my letter that it was not a battery issue (there are two battery sets--one is the AA battery set, the other is a watch battery). Other folks have had similar problems--change the battery, still have the same issue. So I wrote a nice letter, asked for help, took out all the batteries and the card, and mailed it in.

Well, last week I got an Email saying that they had found the problem and were going to fix it. The cost was $89.00 plus shipping and handling.

I just got it back. Fast turnaround. Opened up the battery chamber to put in the batteries and noticed that a watch battery popped out. "Huh, I took that out before sending it in" I thought. Powered it up. Same damn problem,

They literally shoved a battery in and mailed it back to me. They did not test it as the slip said. Needless to say, I am livid. I called back the company and asked the first rep what happened, I said, "gee, I hope that they didn't shove a battery in, charge me $100 and mail it back without doing anything else." Guess what? She said, "um, let me connect you to someone else."

Second person transferred me.

Third person put me on hold for 5 minutes. Got back on, "well, there is a battery..."

:angry:

I then stopped her and said that they needed to bring this back and do it over at no charge. Stay tuned.....

Sorry to bitch, but folks ought to know about how outrageous this is.

EDIT: See below....

Last edited:

o3jeff

I thought most electronic mfg's usual just charged you a nominal fee and sent you a reconditioned one. I also doubt they really have anyone that can take the thing apart and trouble shoot it here in the US.

Hopefully they do the right thing and fix it or send you another.

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have to send my Canon waterproof camera back this week, hope my fix goes better than yours.

The worst is when you keep getting transferred.. the infamous "if you can't help me I want to talk to someone who can" line as you work your way up their corporate ladder to get someone who will finally make the right decision to help you...which also takes hours and by the time you reach their managers manager you are at your boiling point!

Anyways, I feel your pain, hope they clear it up for you..and fast!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I just had my Canon S95 in for service since over the summer I fell out of a kayak and ruined it. Cost me $150 to get it replaced but that's cheaper than the $300 if i had to get an entirely new camera

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well, I could not sit around. Called again. Got the same d%^& rep and she was literally reading a script, so I said, "get me to the supervisor."

I waited and got the main manager. Really nice guy. He had my registrations pulled up. "I see you own a lot of Canon stuff." He looked into the "repair" work and said he was really "not liking what he saw." So he refunded my money, big apologies, said it would be taken care of. Sounds like a situation of "you can't find good help." Nice guy. He got it fixed...stay tuned.

o3jeff

Good that they are going to make good. That's all it usually takes is just finding the one or two people that know which end they are suppose to be sitting on.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Maybe yesterday was just not my day. We bought a new computer after my old one crashed and burned this weekend, only to open it up and have the keyboard not work. :blink: Online help with HP was worthless; got an operator finally on the phone who said, "yeah that is a problem." Took it back literally 3 hours after we bought it. Oy..... :lol:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Update: case resolved. The manager did as they said they would--refunded the money, got the camera fixed, and shipped it back. Free of charge. It works. Very happy. A success story.

frapcap

Update: case resolved. The manager did as they said they would--refunded the money, got the camera fixed, and shipped it back. Free of charge. It works. Very happy. A success story.

Glad to hear that. I had a similar experience with Canon after my lens would no longer dial in and out on my P&S. The first solution wasn't a solution at all and after doing what you described, the same result was applied. Its been great ever since.
Glad to hear they haven't completely lost their touch these days. Especially since they make a decent product.