• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Plattekill expanding snowmaking?

legalskier

It looks like Laszlo's wish finally may be coming true, at least from this blurb on a pay web site:

'Canyon' benefits Plattekill
By Jennifer Kabat
“Welcome to the Grand Canyon.” Laszlo Vajtay waves towards the gaping hole at the top of Plattekill Mountain. The cliffs below, with their walls of rock, dwarf the ski area’s owner and even the Komatsu excavator behind him. Sixty feet deep, the “canyon” is not some folly on the top of the mountain. It’s a new pond to hold water for snowmaking.

Link: http://catskillmountainnews.com/content/canyon-benefits-plattekill

Does anyone have any more info about this?

legalskier

We're working on a story for this. Will post a heads up in this thread when we publish it. It's a pretty cool tale.

I look forward to reading it. I bought the latest edition of CMN but it didn't include this story. I've heard that Plattekill's efforts to expand capacity have met with considerable resistance over the years. This would be a much needed shot in the arm.
:fangun:

millerm277

Very nice. Looks like the Catskills should be seeing some big snowmaking improvements over the next few years. Hunter got the permits for an additional 20 million gallon reservoir a year or two ago.

Cornhead

I was there St. Patrick's Day, the trails that were blown on were in great shape. Needed a lift to the top of Blockbuster, but once there, it was great. Not bad for a place with a rep for poor snowmaking capability. Any improvement would be a bonus. I can't say enough good things about Platty, what a gem. Scotty, if you don't buy a season's pass, be sure to check out WICZ Incentrev deal online. I think they do it every year. I bought four lift tickets for $75. They lowered the price to $10 plus $3.75 handling charge per ticket the last month of the season. Can't beat that with a stick.

catskills

If you spend a week at this new Destination Resort in the Catskills next door to Belleayre, where you going to go when you get bored of skiing just one resort?

Your gong to go to Plattekill. :grin:

house2.jpg

ScottySkis

I was there St. Patrick's Day, the trails that were blown on were in great shape. Needed a lift to the top of Blockbuster, but once there, it was great. Not bad for a place with a rep for poor snowmaking capability. Any improvement would be a bonus. I can't say enough good things about Platty, what a gem. Scotty, if you don't buy a season's pass, be sure to check out WICZ Incentrev deal online. I think they do it every year. I bought four lift tickets for $75. They lowered the price to $10 plus $3.75 handling charge per ticket the last month of the season. Can't beat that with a stick.

oh ya that is a great deal, and also the potterbrothers ski shops and website and liftopia, but with all the better snow making will be now at platty I would consider buying a season pass, i am also moving to orange county so I be much closer to Catskills for this upcoming winter.