• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Finally Switched to Linux

skibum1321

I tried to install Ubuntu a couple of weeks ago, but my keyboard wouldn't even work on the install screen and it would just freeze up. I have too much on my plate right now to try and get it up and running. Maybe after I finish designing my blog, I'll find some time and get it installed.

bvibert

Staff member
I tried to install Ubuntu a couple of weeks ago, but my keyboard wouldn't even work on the install screen and it would just freeze up. I have too much on my plate right now to try and get it up and running. Maybe after I finish designing my blog, I'll find some time and get it installed.

I find that surprising after how smoothly it went for me. Were you able to boot off of the CD into the desktop environment?

Greg

Staff member
:lol: Actually I started collecting all the footage I have the other night. I think I still have some that I haven't gotten off the tape though, so I have to find that first... ;)

Sweet! So we'll probably see the finished product by what, September?

September 2009, that is...

;)

bigbog

....linux....

...efficient and well thought out kernel...environments/tools.(EDIT: just not enough of them making friends with a portion of the maze of hw/sw out there).
Any of you guys have a speed-demon running from your freezer?....:lol:

Last edited:

skibum1321

I find that surprising after how smoothly it went for me. Were you able to boot off of the CD into the desktop environment?
Nope, I couldn't get anywhere when I tried to boot. It is even the Ubuntu CD straight from Canonical - not the burned one. I still haven't tried to burn the alternative install. I have an old USB keyboard so maybe it couldn't recognize it. I also have a 6 year old computer that I got before freshman year of college. I'm really state of the art for a web developer :).

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Oh man, I never updated this thread :lol: :lol: :lol:

My Linux experiment ended a few months ago. After geeking out and having fun trying to make things "Just Work," I finally tired of the novelty and started getting really upset when certain things like my scanner, MP3 player, java, etc. wouldn't work. No amount of searching online in the Linux forums would solve the problem and I even noticed that some pro linux users essentially gave up trying to make certain peripherals work. The double boot grew old and I found myself being less productive because I hate double booting. So I am back on WinXP...... for now.

I really really really want to buy my next computer without an OS and toss on Kubuntu but that is still two years off so hopefully the driver and peripheral situation will improve by then. I don't even require that Linux "Just Work" when it is first installed. I do, however, require that I should be able to have all my peripherals work with minimum to moderate investigation and that a solution actually exists. To not be able to upload data to an MP3 player or have a scanning function on a printer not work is unacceptable. I will accept having to do a couple days worth of research and fiddling to get my printer online. I will not accept sub-par web browsing because the damn java plug in doesn't work right. I love Linux but when it doesn't love me back I get frustrated. It has come a long way but still not quite there but I think it may have enough momentum to turn the corner. The recent pre-installs from major comp distributors like Dell is a huge step forward.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Oh man, I never updated this thread :lol: :lol: :lol:

My Linux experiment ended a few months ago. After geeking out and having fun trying to make things "Just Work," I finally tired of the novelty and started getting really upset when certain things like my scanner, MP3 player, java, etc. wouldn't work. No amount of searching online in the Linux forums would solve the problem and I even noticed that some pro linux users essentially gave up trying to make certain peripherals work. The double boot grew old and I found myself being less productive because I hate double booting. So I am back on WinXP...... for now.

I really really really want to buy my next computer without an OS and toss on Kubuntu but that is still two years off so hopefully the driver and peripheral situation will improve by then. I don't even require that Linux "Just Work" when it is first installed. I do, however, require that I should be able to have all my peripherals work with minimum to moderate investigation and that a solution actually exists. To not be able to upload data to an MP3 player or have a scanning function on a printer not work is unacceptable. I will accept having to do a couple days worth of research and fiddling to get my printer online. I will not accept sub-par web browsing because the damn java plug in doesn't work right. I love Linux but when it doesn't love me back I get frustrated. It has come a long way but still not quite there but I think it may have enough momentum to turn the corner. The recent pre-installs from major comp distributors like Dell is a huge step forward.

hmm.... sounds like you need Mac :-D

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I have been a mac hater since my first experience 15 years ago. Got no problems with WinXP, I just wish there was something better and cheaper and open source that performed as good if not better in all categories. Linux just isn't quite there on certain areas though it certainly has Windows beat for server applications. Just not quite there for typical home users. No reason to go out and buy a mac though :)

bvibert

Staff member
Nope, I couldn't get anywhere when I tried to boot. It is even the Ubuntu CD straight from Canonical - not the burned one. I still haven't tried to burn the alternative install. I have an old USB keyboard so maybe it couldn't recognize it. I also have a 6 year old computer that I got before freshman year of college. I'm really state of the art for a web developer :).

Bummer. For the record my install was on an old machine that originally came with Windows 98, my wife says it's 9 years old. It's had a few updates over the years but is still a pretty damn old machine. I also have an old USB keyboard on it that I was afraid would give me trouble, but it was recognized with no problem... This makes me glad that my install went so well.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Decided to give Linux another shot a year after my first failed experiment. Due to improvements in the system and choosing a better distro, I am having a remarkably better experience. All previous issues I had with my first Linux distro have been resolved except for the dreaded printer/scanner driver issue, but I easily got my printer up and running. I went with Kubuntu this time around and highly recommend it for those with a KDE preference. I don't think I will be going back this time as my current usability experience is drastically better than my first bout and I much prefer the KDE environment and customability to WinXP. Soooooo much faster, too. Still dual boot option for one or two Win Apps that do not yet have an equivalent Linux program. But other than GPS and movie editing, I may be sold on Linux permanently.

bvibert

Staff member
Keep us updated Steve. I haven't played with my Ubuntu much recently, I know it's still running with no interaction from me though. That's more that I can say for my XP machine. ;)

I might need to install the KDE environment just to compare it to gnome, which I'm pretty happy with.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Give KDE a shot. I don't like Gnome. IIRC, KDE has release 4 coming out soon with some nice new features. Ubuntu just released RC1 for 7.10, IIRC, so that is out there as well if you want the not ready for prime time version to see what's new.

bvibert

Staff member
Give KDE a shot. I don't like Gnome. IIRC, KDE has release 4 coming out soon with some nice new features. Ubuntu just released RC1 for 7.10, IIRC, so that is out there as well if you want the not ready for prime time version to see what's new.

KDE kicks Gnome @ss, imho.

riv... what distro you on?

OK, based on recomendations I installed KDE to my Unbuntu install, now I can login to either Gnome or KDE. I don't really see the big deal, they both seem pretty similar for the limited time I've used both. KDE has some slighty more Windows like user interfaces is all I can see. I've found two strikes against KDE though; On my computer it seems like KDE runs much slower and KDE doesn't seem to have a built in VNC server like Gnome does. I know I can install one, but that's more work than I've had to do with Gnome, which I simply had to turn on (if even that). This is a big deal because I have limited desk space and only have room for one monitor and I'm too cheap to buy a KVM so I use VNC from the Windows box to work on the Linux box.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
From what I understand, KDE is slightly slower than Gnome. But it is so much faster than Windows to begin with, that the slight difference doesn't even factor for me. As far as the GUI, I instantly liked KDE better and I can not say for sure why. I tried both for a few minutes from a live CD and the GUI for KDE just popped out at me. Can't speak for the VNC server issue but I have KVM'd a windows and linux box with some success, though keyboard typing was a bit 'slow' I guess you could say. KVM's are pretty cheap but I suspect you get what you pay for after my experience.