• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How often to replace a mattress

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I really need to get something soon. Back is killing me again, thanks to our awful mattress. Just hate slapping down the dough for one.

Hawkshot99

This tempur-pedic knock off has pretty good reviews on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Queen-Therape...MODC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1327343431&sr=8-2

The king is like $550 or something. vs. $1500+ for a tempurpedic brand

Yea but have you layed on one? The people reviewing it have, but they are not you. My parents got a memory foam mattress of some brand. My mother loves it, and my dad hated the bed. He would struggle getting out of it as he "sunk in" to much. Thankfully they got a bed setup with 2 twins put together to make a king so they could be independently controlled on the height of feet/head. So my dad went out shopping for a new mattress on his side, and wanted nothing to do with a foam mattress. He ended up buying a foam mattress, but way firmer than his old one, and he is happy now.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I've never understood how a firm mattress can be comfortable. I've always thought the softer the better.

I dunno, I'll have to try it out. My mattress right now is ... ok. I wake up creaky though and I'm not sure if that's normal or not. Been doing it for 7 years. I get up and the first thing I have to do is touch my toes and crack my back.

ZYDECORICH

Yea but have you layed on one? The people reviewing it have, but they are not you. My parents got a memory foam mattress of some brand. My mother loves it, and my dad hated the bed. He would struggle getting out of it as he "sunk in" to much. Thankfully they got a bed setup with 2 twins put together to make a king so they could be independently controlled on the height of feet/head. So my dad went out shopping for a new mattress on his side, and wanted nothing to do with a foam mattress. He ended up buying a foam mattress, but way firmer than his old one, and he is happy now.

I need a new one also. I hear the bob o pedic is the way to go if you want a memory foam. Every
one I know who have them love the foam. The only drawback I heard is that they can seem hot. Anybody heard that one?

Puck it

Well this thread was over a year ago and the conversation has started yet again. My wife is complaining of a sore back.

This site has pretty good info: http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/memory-foam-novaform.html

Has anyone tried the knock off Amazon versions?

Memory Foam is the way to go. Go Temperpedic is you have the money. They replaced ours just last year after 9 years free. We have two Bob o pedics too. They seem fine.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Memory Foam is the way to go. Go Temperpedic is you have the money. They replaced ours just last year after 9 years free. We have two Bob o pedics too. They seem fine.

+1
We're a big fan of the Tempurpedic. And, I am/was quite curious about Bob's version. How long have you had those, Puck? Are they comparable to the Tempur's?

Puck it

+1
We're a big fan of the Tempurpedic. And, I am/was quite curious about Bob's version. How long have you had those, Puck? Are they comparable to the Tempur's?

One is in guest room and has been there awhile but does not get a lot of use only when I snore and wife sleeps in it. The other is in our son's room and has been there for quite awhile. I would 5 years at least if not more and it seems fine.

JDMRoma

We just bought the Bob O Pedic in September, it was the more expensive one from Bobs...forget what it was called but its great
love it. We went to Bobs in Nashua and tested it out, went to to Jordans right after and tried the Tempurpedic and couldnt see any difference. went back and forth twice between both stores and bought the Bobs one. Even if it craps out in half the time than the Tempurepedic your still ahead. but so far so good, we love it !

ZYDECORICH

Looks like I'll only be able to ski 1 or 2 more times this year due to my back (L-5 herniation as well as L-3 & 4 disc compression). Trying to get as much out of this year as possible, But it's time for surgery. I think a Bob O Pedic is in my future. I wonder if the inurance would consider paying. Anyone?