• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Driving PSA

ctenidae

and if the driver of that "slow" car got spooked and hit the brakes??????

As clueless as that driver appeared to be, would have taken a zombie horde, two well armed shrews, and 5 gallons of peanut oil to spook him. Might have been able to do it with canola oil, but it'd be tougher.

o3jeff

You're allowed to pass on the right as long as it's a 3 or more travel lane (slow vehicle lanes up hills don't count) limited access highway, there's also some subjective bit in there too about it needing to be reasonable or safe to do so. I never knew there was anything in the books about hanging in the left lane. They certainly don't enforce it if there is. I've witnessed plenty of idiots hanging in the left lane with a cruiser behind them, instead of moving over to let the cop go by.

If the idiot is hanging in the left I'm not going to hang around on his bumper hoping he'll move over I'll just use the right lane on a 2 lane or more highway.

bvibert

Staff member
If the idiot is hanging in the left I'm not going to hang around on his bumper hoping he'll move over I'll just use the right lane on a 2 lane or more highway.

Me too, but it is illegal to do so in CT, if it's less than 3 travel lanes. You can get ticketed for it.

ctenidae

Lately I've been flicking high beams a couple of times as I'm coming up, and it seems to get a better response. Maybe people don't feel as pressured, or as angry, or whatever.

gmcunni

love it when i pull up behind someone on the Merritt Parkway going slower than me in the left lane. when i finally decide to pass them on the right i glance over to see them chatting on the phone. makes me want to cut back in front of them and hit the brakes.

wa-loaf

Lately I've been flicking high beams a couple of times as I'm coming up, and it seems to get a better response. Maybe people don't feel as pressured, or as angry, or whatever.

I believe this is illegal, though I'd have to look it up.

ctenidae

I believe this is illegal, though I'd have to look it up.

According to webtrafficschool.com (your online source for all driving tips), step 5 of safely passing is "Honk or flash your high beams to warn drivers ahead".

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

According to the Uniform Traffic Code in theUS, it seems that it is illegal to drive slower than the speed of normal traffic (note, that'snot the posted speed limit) in the left lane.

wa-loaf

According to webtrafficschool.com (your online source for all driving tips), step 5 of safely passing is "Honk or flash your high beams to warn drivers ahead".

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

According to the Uniform Traffic Code in theUS, it seems that it is illegal to drive slower than the speed of normal traffic (note, that'snot the posted speed limit) in the left lane.

Illegal in Washington State anyway:

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/12/26/1958986/flashing-high-beams-at-others.html

bigbog

Iwanttos.jpeg

Approaching the Albany, Troy exit? ...fwiw:lol:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Maine Turnpike used to have reminder signs in the median reminding the clueless from southern New England, a state that begins with "M". Rules are intended to help everyone get along. Guess they went out of style along with manners.:uzi::angry::smash:

I also believe "Keep right except to pass" signs are illegal in Massachusetts.:dunce:

mlctvt

Left lane slow pokes are definitely more common now than 20-30 years ago. I've noticed that it's now more common to just drive in the left lane. Rarely do people move over after passing any more, they just stay in the left lane, like they're too lazy to turn on their turn signal and move over into the right lane.

On 3 lane highways the right lane is rarely used since nobody wants to deal with the idiots entering the highway at 30-40mph, another major problem. Didn't anyone teach these people that they should be doing the speed of the traffic they're merging in with when entering? It's as if nobody learned how to drive correctly the last few years. It seems every year it just gets worse.

SKIQUATTRO

question....can a commercial vehicle (not tractor-trailer) say like a uhaul, cargo van, pick up with commerical plate be in the left lane of a 3 land highway? i know tractor-trailers/busses cannot be in the far left, but what about other commercial vehicles?

Glenn

question....can a commercial vehicle (not tractor-trailer) say like a uhaul, cargo van, pick up with commerical plate be in the left lane of a 3 land highway? i know tractor-trailers/busses cannot be in the far left, but what about other commercial vehicles?

In Mass they can be. When traffic is light, it's not a bit deal. It's another story when it's heavy.