• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Volkl Kendo

redwinger

I've been looking at these alot now that prices have come down. Think the lack of slight rocker would make them less fun in powder than the experience 88's?

Anyone have experience skiing some deeper stuff with both?

Hawkshot99

Skied next years today. They were awesome. Nice rocker, so very easy to turn short, but solid metal in the core, so I could push them hard at speed. Feels similar to my Bushwacker that I love!

I may be on this for next year.

Glenn

I've been looking at these alot now that prices have come down. Think the lack of slight rocker would make them less fun in powder than the experience 88's?

Anyone have experience skiing some deeper stuff with both?

While I did ski them both, I can't see the tip rocker making a huge difference in deeper snow. That's just my assumption. And you know what they say about assuming. :lol:

Here's a thread I happened to find when I googled Rossi Experience 88... http://www.epicski.com/t/108110/rossi-experience-88-in-powder

I was actually looking for the length the ski comes in....I must have demo'd the 178. I found it to be really turny. For me, it would be great ski on icy steeps. The Kendo and Prophet seemed a bit more towards my style of skiing.

Hawk,
Did you happen to ski the 2012 version as well? I'm curious if the tip rocker makes much of a difference.

Hawkshot99

Hawk,
Did you happen to ski the 2012 version as well? I'm curious if the tip rocker makes much of a difference.

No I never bothered to ski it because we did not carry it. For next year I will have it in my demo fleet, I liked it so much.

Glenn

I may have met the UPS guy at the front door when I heard the truck pull up last night.... :lol:

Kendo1.jpg

Badass shot for Gary.......
Kendo2.jpg

Glenn

So these things rip! GS turns, tight turns..they deliver. Took them for a quick rip in the bumps and they did good. I'll write a more detailed review after another day. 170's dont feel short at all. I'm raising my beer Edd.

Glenn

I skied three days on the skis and I really like them. It was mostly spring conditions, but I did my best to find some firmer surfaces.

The 170 works just fine. The jump to a 177 is really 2.6"...not a huge difference. I opened these skis up a number of times and didn't feel they were too short. When you get these skis on edge while you're going at a good clip, they deliver. I was able to get sideways a number of times. I felt like I could move my elbow and have it touch the ground. And they really zip you out of the turn when you unload. I got into a good set of turns earlier in the morning Sunday when things were somewhat "firm(er)" and they just rocked. So I'm sure this ski will kick some butt on groomers and firm surfaces. Despite liking the high speeds, I had no problem controlling it at lower speeds.

I found the skis to be very manageable in the bumps. I wish I had some nicely spaced seeded bumps, but beggers can't be choosers this season. On massive bumps on steep terrain (Ripcord), the skis were really easy to move around...pick a line and go. I did get a bit out of sorts over on Beartrap where the bumps were natural, but had been skied by the comp kids, so they were very uniform...but deep troughs. if I wasn't careful about my lines, I'd get bounced around a bit. That's probably due to the stiffness of the ski. I'm sure with a small adjustment here and there, they'll be good in the bumps. Again, it's a stiffer ski, so certainly not a deadicated bump ski. If I want to spend a day in the bumps, I'd grab my twins which are skinner and more noodle-ish for flex.

Crud: Yeah, they hadndled that no problem. There was a lot of crud this weekend. I went around a hit piles of it...went through over the snow puddles/mini streams and no problems at all. One thing I did have to watch was washboards. If you load that ski up, it'll snap right back...so you have to pay attention to the surface at times. Then again, I was seaking out anything I could to give them a good test.

Marker Squires are good bindings. I thought they felt very solid when you clicked into them.

All in all, I'm delighted with these skis. For my type of skiing, it really will be my go to ski. I wish I had some time in on firmer snow and some powder, but it just gives me something to look forward to next season.

gmcunni

pic with bindings on please.. i am worried that the biddings cover some of the best parts of the graphics :cry:

Glenn

Geez...never got that shot for Gary. I'll grab one this weekend.

I've been out on the hill 5 days so far. It's been everthing from early season, to spring, to mid winter in just two weeks. Since I got the skis late last year, it's like new skis all over again. Most of what I skied late last season was soft and corn. This season, I've gotten in some groomers, hardpack and boilerplate. Still happy!

They hold very well on ice. Set you're edge, lean...done. On groomers with some speed and lean...you're trenching. They're fun in the crud as well; good at blasting through the wet stuff. There were a few times I was bounced around a little, but probably the stiffness of the ski. Overall, the ski was looking for: Easily makes short turns, but doesn't complain when you open them up. Hell, they're well balanced enough for a few of the small booters I hit in the terrain park.

drjeff

Geez...never got that shot for Gary. I'll grab one this weekend.

I've been out on the hill 5 days so far. It's been everthing from early season, to spring, to mid winter in just two weeks. Since I got the skis late last year, it's like new skis all over again. Most of what I skied late last season was soft and corn. This season, I've gotten in some groomers, hardpack and boilerplate. Still happy!

They hold very well on ice. Set you're edge, lean...done. On groomers with some speed and lean...you're trenching. They're fun in the crud as well; good at blasting through the wet stuff. There were a few times I was bounced around a little, but probably the stiffness of the ski. Overall, the ski was looking for: Easily makes short turns, but doesn't complain when you open them up. Hell, they're well balanced enough for a few of the small booters I hit in the terrain park.

And you also forgot to mention Glenn, as I got to witness 1st hand this past weekend as you, me, and our better halves were heading down the bottom of Ridge, that your Kendo's also perform very well when you sit down on their tails in the classic park rat "butt skiing" stance and let them fly! ;) :)

Glenn can bring his Kendo's down the hill very well with some great arcing of them!

Hawkshot99

I demoed them last spring and loved them. I have been skiing on my shops pair of demos as I wait for my pair to arive. Hopefully ups will bring them today or tomarrow!

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

Glenn

And you also forgot to mention Glenn, as I got to witness 1st hand this past weekend as you, me, and our better halves were heading down the bottom of Ridge, that your Kendo's also perform very well when you sit down on their tails in the classic park rat "butt skiing" stance and let them fly! ;) :)

Glenn can bring his Kendo's down the hill very well with some great arcing of them!

Thanks Jeff!

And a funny story. I attempted to do a "back in the day" move (while doing the binding sit) by putting my poles under my armpits, leaning back and creating a snow rooster tail. That works great with aluminum poles...not so great on poles that have a little "give" to them. I almost ate it. :lol:

drjeff

Thanks Jeff!

And a funny story. I attempted to do a "back in the day" move (while doing the binding sit) by putting my poles under my armpits, leaning back and creating a snow rooster tail. That works great with aluminum poles...not so great on poles that have a little "give" to them. I almost ate it. :lol:

I thought it looked like things got a little funky there for a minute as you were nearing the top of the Tumbleweed lift. I just figured that you must of encountered a random snow-sabrett! ;) :lol:

Hawkshot99

Think I need to go test these tomarrow!

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354669368098.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354669368098.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 24