• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Volkl Kendo

Glenn

Anyone ski on these or demo? I've seen a few blurbs in various threads.

My wife demo'd the Kenja's on Friday....and left with a brand new pair Friday afternoon :lol:. She fell in love with the ski. She's on an Aurora and it's a but of a burly ski. The Kenja is a lot lighter and takes less effort to turn.

I read up on the Kendo and it's the male version of the Kenja. I'm thinking it'll fit nicely between my HotRod Nitrous (burly) and my Dynastar twins. I really need to demo these...and I want to try the Line Prophet 90...

Edd

Bought them this year and mounted them with Kneebindings. On these skis I've only had 5 days (no powder) but my initial impressions are that they're extremely composed. They'll pretty much do what you ask. Medium to long-ish turns are what they're looking for but they don't punish you for forcing a short turn.

My Kendos are 170cm (I'm 5' 11", 180 lbs.) which is a bit short. My goal in purchasing it was the most versatile eastern board in a length / width that won't punish my freshly injured knee from last season (hence the Kneebindings). Some may find my logic dumb but I don't regret it at this point. I haven't taken them in any real glades or bumps yet (having a strange season) but I've occasionally shot over some brief bumpy terrain which they handled nicely.

I've never been a racer and I don't ski like one but I find them stiff. Also, the flex / rebound feel isn't what I consider lively. It's just smooth and predictable. I think many advanced skiers would consider this to be a negative (that is, not fun) but I'm ok with it.

My primary skis in the last few years are the K2 Hardsides, Legend 8000s and K2 Public Enemies.

Edd

You're welcome. Forgot to mention, true to their marketing, they hold quite a good edge on hard pack. They are pushed as a 50/50 ski but I haven't skied enough off piste to decide for myself what the bias is terrain-wise.

Glenn

I've read a few reviews on the interweb and my did mention their hold on hardpack. But I like hearing it here on my "home" forum. :lol:

I'm really interested in hearing how they do in the deeper stuff (New England deep...not Utah Blower).

I'm thinking they may be OK in the bumps. My wife actually ventured into the moguls this weekend. She usually avoids thosse.

drjeff

I've read a few reviews on the interweb and my did mention their hold on hardpack. But I like hearing it here on my "home" forum. :lol:

I'm really interested in hearing how they do in the deeper stuff (New England deep...not Utah Blower).

I'm thinking they may be OK in the bumps. My wife actually ventured into the moguls this weekend. She usually avoids thosse.

Mitz must of been inspired by watching that pack of "small people" tear down Yard Sale Saturday AM (with 3 bigger people trying to chace after them ;) ) and got the urge to hit the bumps a bit!

The real question Glenn should be for you guys, is will Mitz's new pair of skis require another new outfit or two to match them?? ;) :lol: ;)

Glenn

That was a fun run with the kids!

Good question! So far, she's focused on the skis. But when the end of the season sales start popping up.......

Glenn

I demo'd skis today: Kendo, Rossi Experience and Line Prophet 90's.

I skied everything in a 177-179.

The Experience was really turny. Held an edge well.

The Prophet was in the middle. Held an edge well, zipped along nicely. I noticed just a tad of chatter from the rocker tip.

The Kendo was great. I felt like the edge of the entire ski held. It was a fast ski, but also hed an edge well. I was impressed that it edged that well for an 88.

The surprise of the day...I took out the Kendos in a 170. While I could feel a slight decrease in speed when really hammering them in a straight line, they turned quite a bit better. I had a blast on them.

Edd

They are fun and have a rock solid feel. I finally got them in a few inches of fresh like 10 days ago and they were great but most any ski would have been. You still gonna demo a few more Glenn?

Glenn

Cool. The guy at the shop said they were fun in deeper stuff....good to hear some realworld feedback.

I don't really have much else on my radar right now. Although, I'm open to suggestions.

Hit a few shops after skiing today to look around. Everyone had this ski in a 177 or 163. Figures, right? :lol:

Glenn

Im perseverating....170 or 177. Im old school, so i tend to favor longer. But the170's skied well. Ugh.

Glenn

I pulled the trigger tonight. I went with the 170 and a set of Marker Squire bindings. I cant wait. Fingers crossed that I'll be on them next weekend.

Edd

Woo hoo! They skied nicely in the 6-8" of pow I caught the other day.

gmcunni

bad ass looking ski!

47706.Size.LengthCM_184_Image.jpg

Glenn

Excellent Edd! I hope someday, I'll get to test them out in the deeper stuff. That's probably a long shot at this point in the season. As long as I get a bunch of days in on them, I'll be happy camper.

Gary....depends... They're probably going to be a replacement for my Nordica Hotrod Nitrous. A great ski, but they just don't turn like they used too...even after a number of tunes and a good base grind. I'll still hold on to them. I'm thinking the Kendo will be my every day and I'll take the twin tips out every so often and for the bumps. The graphics are pretty cool on the ski. A lot different from the older more traditional stuff Volkl used years ago.

Trying to check my order status...and the website I ordered them from is down. :lol: