• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

175ish or 181?

zakyr

I am 6'3", looking to get a set of twin tips. Ski all mountain but looking to get more into the park when I get the urge.

Looking at Atomic Panics.

I found a good deal on a set of 181's....any thoughts on whether or not they would be too big?

gmcunni

I am 6'3", looking to get a set of twin tips. Ski all mountain but looking to get more into the park when I get the urge.

Looking at Atomic Panics.

I found a good deal on a set of 181's....any thoughts on whether or not they would be too big?

weight, skier level?

i am 5'7" and fat. i ski a 170 all mountain ski. i demo'd an atomic twin tip in 180 last weekend and it didn't feel long at all. if i was buying for myself i'd be looking at 180+. @ 181 i'd be more worried about them being to small for you.

i believe conventional wisdom is a twin tip ski would be longer than a standard all mountain ski. the tips "shorten" the contact area of the ski.

zakyr

im 220lbs (athletic build), would say high intermediate/advanced.

I want a length that I can still take tight turns and fly down when I get the urge, but again a length that is good for the park.

wa-loaf

Don't know anything about park skiing, but twin tips ski shorter so go longer. Especially at your height weight.

zakyr

Good stuff.

So I just bought a set of 2012 Atmoic Panic 181's, mojo 12 bindings, ski bag - out the door price of $434.

zakyr

Good stuff.

So I just bought a set of 2012 Atmoic Panic 181's, mojo 12 bindings, ski bag - out the door price of $434.

Just realized thats including mounting the bindings too :daffy:

Glenn

I think you'll be fine.

My twins are 175's...and I'm about 5'10" and 155-160lbs. I find they ski "short". I've got the bindings mounted a bit forward, but they're not a perfectly centered park mount. Basically, more forward vs a traditional mount.

That's good deal ont those skis mounted and out the door!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
181 is likely too short for you. I'm 6'1" at 220lbs and ski a 186 for my twin tip powder board and it is right on the money. I can get away with 180ish for a non-twin tip. Ski construction has something to do with it too as well as ability and intended use. But its hard for me to believe you'd enjoy a 181 twin tip ski with your weight.

zakyr

181 is likely too short for you. I'm 6'1" at 220lbs and ski a 186 for my twin tip powder board and it is right on the money. I can get away with 180ish for a non-twin tip. Ski construction has something to do with it too as well as ability and intended use. But its hard for me to believe you'd enjoy a 181 twin tip ski with your weight.

Really? That's the first time I have ever heard that would be too small for anything other than doing downhill....

bvibert

Staff member
Really? That's the first time I have ever heard that would be too small for anything other than doing downhill....

Keep in mind that a twin tip has a shorter usable edge than a regular ski of the same length, due to the tail being turned up too. Also some park skis are really soft in the tips and tails, so they'll seem even shorter. I got a pair of wide-ish twin tips to use in soft snow, and they felt like I was skiing on snow blades. I forget the exact size, but it was around what I typically ski (177-182ish). I got rid of those pretty quickly.

That said, for doing tricks and stuff maybe shorter is better? I wasn't using the skis for their intended purpose anyway...

zakyr

Skis were delivered yesterday. They look awesome. Hope to ski Friday and Saturday to test them out.

zakyr

Skied the past 2 days on the Atomic Panic's...too tired to do a full write-up at the moment...

But wow...talk about an all-mountain twin tip....so impressed....and so glad I went with the 181.

P.S.- Gunstock yesterday - 2 thumbs up
Gunstock today - pretty good, got a little crowded, iced up late morning....they haven't made snow the past few days so it is expected.