• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter cycling projects

BackLoafRiver

Road bike is back from the shop. New chain, new tires, bar tape, some cable housing.

Still thinking it is time for new wheels but I don't have the money for them just yet.

BackLoafRiver

Funny you mention that...I could have done all of it myself EXCEPT the bar tape. Even with practice, I still suck at it. He didn't charge me labor on anything except the general tune up and I got a nice discount on the tires.

I still feel like I cheated having him do some of that work.

bvibert

Staff member
So, I started working on getting my MTB ready for the season last night. I've come to the determination that I didn't ride enough last year. Normally I replace the chain and possibly the cassette and/or middle ring at the beginning of the season, because they need it. I checked the chain stretch last night and it was hardly stretched at all, less than a 1/16" over 12 links. The cassette and middle ring are fine as well. The granny ring is a little tweaked, but it was at the beginning of last season as well. I don't mind not having to spend the money right now, but that just means I'll probably have to do it mid-season instead...

I pulled all the suspension apart to check the bearings, all looks pretty good except for one bearing that is a little notchy. I'll probably let that go until next year.

Should be able to put everything back together tonight and be good to go!

o3jeff

So, I started working on getting my MTB ready for the season last night. I've come to the determination that I didn't ride enough last year. Normally I replace the chain and possibly the cassette and/or middle ring at the beginning of the season, because they need it. I checked the chain stretch last night and it was hardly stretched at all, less than a 1/16" over 12 links. The cassette and middle ring are fine as well. The granny ring is a little tweaked, but it was at the beginning of last season as well. I don't mind not having to spend the money right now, but that just means I'll probably have to do it mid-season instead...

I pulled all the suspension apart to check the bearings, all looks pretty good except for one bearing that is a little notchy. I'll probably let that go until next year.

Should be able to put everything back together tonight and be good to go!

What did you get for a new rear wheel/hub?

I think my mountain bikes got more dust than dirt on them last year!