• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter cycling projects

bvibert

Staff member
I hope the surgery was nothing serious and you're recovering okay.

I've been working way too much myself, which has been cutting into my skiing. Definitely starting to think about MTB!

MR. evil

I hope the surgery was nothing serious and you're recovering okay.

I've been working way too much myself, which has been cutting into my skiing. Definitely starting to think about MTB!

thanks Brian....it was nothing serious and I am recovering just fine. I am actually bored out of my mind sitting around doing nothing and I am really hoping to get clearance from my doctor to go back to work tomorrow.

cyclesnack

Website
www.cyclesnack.com
Last fall I found a Trek 720 on the side of the road that I have been playing around with as a commuter bike.

Hybrid bikes suck! So, I am in the process of converting this to a Singlespeed/Fixed gear commuter.

I will post some pix when I get the new wheels on it.

MR. evil

Hey MR. evil in the house! What have you been up to?

Going 1x10 is certainly tempting... I have a love/hate relationship with my front derailleur!

Wasn't 100% sure I was going to make the change from 2x9 to 1x10. But the other day I accidentally ran across a sweet deal for a new SRAM X9 crank and bottom bracket for $132 with free shipping, which is just ridiculously cheap. Thinking back I should have 5 of them and sold the rest on eBay. This crank has a removable spider allowing for a direct mount chain ring. The plan now is to use a 28t chainring up front with a 12x36 10 speed cassette in the rear. If that is not enough range several mfrs are making a 42t cog you can add to a 10 speed cassette.

Now on the look out for eithe10r XT or X9 level 10 speed cassette, shifter & der. If anyone is interested in buying my old Shimmano SLX crankset and bottom bracket let me know. It's only 2 seasons old and in decent shape. I also have a brand new RaceFacd 32t chainring still in the original packaging for his crank.

bvibert

Staff member
. If anyone is interested in buying my old Shimmano SLX crankset and bottom bracket let me know. It's only 2 seasons old and in decent shape. I also have a brand new RaceFacd 32t chainring still in the original packaging for his crank.

How much are you looking to get for it?

MR. evil

So here it is:
A 2 year old Shimano SLX 2x crankset with bashguard and bottom bracket (the chainrings are a little life in them). The end of the crank arms have typical wear front rocky New England riding but other wise the cranks are in great shape

a 2 year old Shimano SLX 2x front deraillure, Will work with Shimano and SRAM front shifters.

and finally a brand new RaceFace 32T Turbine chain ring.

I would ideally like to sell all of this as a package, asking $125 plus shipping.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1394157591.241482.jpg
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1394157603.513572.jpg
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1394157622.856343.jpg
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1394157657.317823.jpg
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1394157683.381207.jpg

I will also have some other bits for sale soon priced to move:
SRAM X7 front shifter
SRAM X7 medium cage rear Der
SRAM X7 nine speed rear shifter
Shimano XT 11-34 nine speed cassette.

MR. evil

I though I was the only woman that ran a 11-34 cassette!

I am going all out girly with my new drive train. Single ring up front with a 28t chain rings, and a 12/36 10 speed cassette in the rear. Might even use the use conversion kit and remove the 17t cog from the cassette and add a 40t big cog for extra girl power.

bvibert

Staff member
That's tempting, and seems like a good price. I don't really need a new crank though. Backloaf, it's all yours if you want it.

bvibert

Staff member
I'm gathering up the parts to finish off my 1x conversion that I mostly did this last summer. Since my drivetrain was due for a replacement anyway I decided to spend a little extra and go from 9 speed to 10 speed in the back while I was at it.

When I first converted to the single ring up front I just used the 32T ramped chain ring that I already had on there, and left the front derailleur (limit screw set to lock it in the middle) to act as a chain guide. I also had a 11-32 rear cassette, which obviously only gave me a 1:1 climbing gear. That actually worked out a little better than I thought it would, but still I wanted a little bit better climbing gear. Since I'm almost never in need of higher gears I decided to go with a 30T Race Face Narrow Wide ring. The NW rings are supposed to aid with chain retention, so no more front derailleur. To further ensure that I was able to keep the chain from falling off in rough terrain I upgraded to a clutch rear derailleur, a Zee Shadow+ short cage to be exact. Top it all off with a 11-36 10 speed cassette and Saint shifter. With 30:36 I'll have a better climbing gear, while still retaining the ratios that most often use. I can't wait to see how it all works out when I get it together.

I'll also be checking out the pivots in the rear suspension, which probably need new bearings at this point, and whatever other normal maintenance is needed.

Anyone else have any projects going on?

snoseek

If anyone is interested I've got a almost brand new 2013 marzochi bomber 55, almost brand new set of WTB laserdisc rims and some other random stuff I'm willing to sell super cheap.

150 for fork
125 for wheelset (comes with conti mk tires, almost new)

im gonna ebay it in spring, but want to gives az first dibs. I bought it for my slayer and proceeded to snap my frame shortly after a couple years back. all is mint

snoseek

My big project is some slx brakes and maybe, just maybe some new wheels for my trance. We'll see how tax returns go....